Mid-Watch   1280x1024 1024X768 800X600

IUSSCAA Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Where does the time go??

John Vogt-

Your post got the best of my curiosity - so, I looked up you name/address on the IUSS Alumni roster. Found that Ancram NY is less than 2 hours from where I live (Queensbury - near Glens Falls). Also, I know that Chuck Cable was originally from Kingston NY, but seems the FL weather is more to his liking (I think his Great Lakes dumpster watches made him a warm weather convert).

Also, within the past year or so - I have found that there are 3 other OT retirees living within 15 minutes of Glens Falls (4 including myself). Heck, we could almost have a mini OT reunion of our own!

Just curious - what years did you serve, and at what NavFacs, etc.??

Irv (Dee) DeMatties

Hello Irv,
Phil Blauvelt was from Tivoli (South Of Hudson) Bob VanAlstyne is upstate somewhere. I just seen the latest newsletter and there is a retired OTA1 Right across the river from me in Catskill. There's a YN2 up in Tupper Lake that I was stationed with in Bermuda during my second tour. My location is close the borders of MA and CT (South East of Hudson about 13 miles). I served from May 1969 to August 1990. Delayed entry. Did boot camp and BE&E at Great Lakes from September 1969 to February 1970. Left Great Lakes at -41 with wind Chill and straight to Key West at a balmy 80. Was slated to be an STG but got picked up for some unknown program behind the green doors. after A school went to Bermuda 1970 - 1972, Grand Turk 1972 - 1973, Argentia 1973 - 1975, COSP 1975 - 1978, Antigua 1978 - 1980, Brawdy 1980 - 1983, Guam 1983 - 1985, Bermuda 1985 - 1989, NAS Jacksonville 1989 - 1990. Back to Upstate New York after retirement. Like the change of seasons and the hunting. How about yourself?

John

I remember that dumpster watch, John. I had the 0000-0200 in a snow storm in Nov or Dec '65. I couldn't help wondering who in the hell would be out at that time of night in that kind of weather to throw a lit cig in a dumpster.

Rick,

You dang near relieved me. I had my dumpster watches in the Jan-Feb 65 timeframe. I was part of a fun company while at the lakes. One of the guys was an excellent singer and he got all of us involved in song fests just about every night. Our Company commander caught us at it one night and made us perform for the other companies, albeit we were outside on the grinder in freezing weather and they were listening through the windows.

The Co commander admitted at the end of out tour that we were actually pretty good and he enjoyed hearing it.

By the way, During bootcamp, I weighed 137 lbs and had a 30" waist. Not the case today!!!! Oh for the days!!!!!!!!!!

J

I can relate to that John. At my induction physical I was 129lbs with a 28 inch waist. If I'd been 2lbs lighter I'd have needed a waiver to get in. They used to laugh and say if I stood sideways and stuck out my tongue I'd look like a zipper. Well that was not only 49 years ago but 80lbs and 13 inches ago.

One final post on this subject and then I'll leave it alone.

I was 21 when I went to boot camp. I remember one night while guarding the Dumpster I said "If I survive this, I gonna have a double shot of something when I gain my freedom. I recall getting to the airport and marching directly to the bar and ordering a double VO neat. I probably smoked a half pack of cigarettes while downing the drink all the while vowing that the Navy wasn't for me.

After schools at Key west, I got orders to Arg and met as well as learned from the likes of George Widenor, Jim Adair, Jim Daniels, Gerald Smith, Charlie Kohn and the likes as well as Ens Heineman, Ens Stoddard, and Ens McWethey. I'll never forget the example of how to wear a uniform as demonstrated daily by Lt Hacker.

When my tour was up in Arg, It coincided with my EAOS and Pat and i were prepared to return to the great state of AR. But the XO, Lt Don Olson called me into his office and said "Ellis, I'll give you $10K and choice of order to reup for 6 years. I called a time out and went home to discuss with Pat. She pointed out that we had more friends (Chuck and Linda cable, Charlie and Sandy Kohn, Dave and Bonnie Williams to name a few) than we had in AR and we really didn't have a reason to go back to AR. So, reup we did and the rest is history.

I've always said that "I love it when a good plan comes together" but I really love it when Dumb A_ _ luck takes over and sets you up for the rest of your life.

It has been a fun ride and going back to the original point, it went wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy to fast.

J & P

Chuck are you from Kingston, I grew up spending my summers off route 28A, by the Ashakan resevoir.

Chris I lived just above the Spillway swimming hole at the top of the hill 1st house on the right, Lamontville Road. Had relative all the way along what was called at that time Spillway Road. Small world.
Chuck

My Uncle Dan Walker lived by the spillway, we used to spend our summers swimming there.

Been so long since I was living there it is difficult to remember names. Do you recall the address? From the spillway there was Lomontiville road, Brown station road and 28A I think.
Chuck

Visits: