IUSSCAA Wallpapers
Ocean Night 1280x1024 1024X768 800X600
Mid-Watch   1280x1024 1024X768 800X600

IUSSCAA Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Kennedy Assassination and Pearl Harbor

I could not help but notice that TV/News coverage of the Kennedy assasination, just over 51 years ago, was noticeably lacking this year. Hardly a mention of that fateful day in our nation's history. If this day in our history is no longer remembered and covered in the news, will our grandchildren and their children even know such a tragedy occured?

That brings me to Pearl Harbor which, in two more days, marks the 73rd anniversary of the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor (December 7th, 1941). In addition to great devastation of the U.S. Pacific fleet and other military installations on Oahu, nearly 2400 Americans died that day! This event in our nation's history holds some special meaning to me; from my 3 years at COSP on Ford Island and my many trips to the Arizona Memorial, as well as my oldest grandaughter being born the day before (Dec 6, 1979) at Tripler Army Hospital. Additionally, while my Dad was not at Pearl that fateful day, he did see action throughout the Pacific from 1944-1945.

It makes me wonder: if an important event such as the Kennedy assassination no longer receives much, if any attention, might there come a day when the events at Pearl Harbor (in the words of President Franklin Roosevelt, "...a day that will live in infamy") will no longer be a part of our history that is passed on to future generations. Just a thought....!

Irv

Re: Kennedy Assassination and Pearl Harbor

It happens, modern day horrors eclipse old ones, the twin rowers now gets remembered, the civil war battles, and most of the first world war, are relegated to the dusty pages of history.....Sad, but it is a fact of life I guess....

Re: Kennedy Assassination and Pearl Harbor

On Pearl Harbor Day, the City Of Hattiesburg, Ms held a brakfast for Veterns.
The attendence was more than 200. I believe 42 WWII Vets attended and were the ones to be the ones celebrated. They were presented withe WWII madalions.
As the TV rolled thru the ships and those who died in servace were displayed, I saw that several Mississippi Sailors died on the Arizona. Bad enough but it was heart breaking to see the numbers of young men from Mississippi were kelled during WWII.
I and several mone hope that this will be an anual event for a long time.
My friend MCPO John Goodman served in WWII, Korea and Vietnam. He was Aviation and worked with SOSUS from the beginning. In later years you may have talked to him on the P3 you were connected to.
Merry Christmas To One And All!!
Marshall

Visits: