Mid-Watch   1280x1024 1024X768 800X600

IUSSCAA Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Your First Navy Christmas

Chuck
I was there as well, same company, same time. CC was a TM1 named Ashburn. Don't recall knowing you but that was a long time ago
On to FSS, Eleuthera, San Sal, and Kef. Out in Oct. '70.

Best Christmas wishes to all!

RM Miller

NavFac Pt. Sur, 1971. LDCR Ed K. Dalrymple was CO of the base. Watch standers were OT2? Al Wymann (supervisor/plotter) and OTSN/OT3 Tom Hardy (the other reader). Definitely a different climate and scenery at Pt. Sur than previous Christmases in NE Iowa where I grew up.

Hope you all have a very merry Christmas!

I was with a small group of SOSNs in San Juan Puerto Rico awaiting transportation to Ramey AFB (the western end of the island) to open NAVFAC Ramey
Wow....60 years ago.

I was in New London Ct attending sub school. Merry Christmas and happy and safe holidays to all. 1967

Sonar Tech "A" school, San Diego, 1964. Took leave and hitch-hiked up to Sonoma, CA to spend Christmas with my older brother who was stationed at Skaggs Island.

First Christmas in NAVY San Sal as a mess cook 1958

Merry Christmas, Dick. Been a long time since Midway!

Its been 46 years and I still have good memories of there. Merry Christmas and Happy New Years to you also.

At NavFac San Salvodor 1963!

On Christmas break from B2E School at NTC Great Lakes in 1972. Half the class got Christmas and the other half got New Years. I got from the 22nd to the 27th to go home to Danvers Mass. Had to be back by midnight the 27th. Ended up shoveling snow from the sidewalks on New Years day in Undress Blues with leggings and polished Boondockers.

Cua River Republic of Viet Nam onboard USS Henry County LST-824
Standing Lookout Watch 1967

At Navfac San Salvador 1966

Re: Your First Navy Christmas Key West 1973)

Fleet Sonar School, Key West Florida - 1973. Christmas dinner at the galley with Steve Duty, Sergio (??) and Jim Whitmire. They were all Sonar Techs, I was the only OT in the group!

Merry Christmas, shipmates!

1969, ET A School, Treasure Island, CA. School closed and all on liberty except the Section on duty. Still less than 50 years ago. I feel like a young buck every time Smokey dates an event he experienced in his early Navy career.

1975 - Argentia NFLD. It was also my very first "White Christmas". I spent it with good friends.

My first Christmas was in Port Hueneme, Calif at Construction Mechanic "A" school in 1968. I was the only man on my floor of the barracks and had put a "Charlie Brown" Christmas tree in a coffee can. Seems like yesterday.

Merry Christmas and the best of holidays to all.

NavFac Pacific Beach 1959, 55 years ago. Had just missed spending my first one at Great Lakes Training Center, nearly a year earlier in January of 1958. Wasn't my favorite way to spend Christmas, as I was pretty used to a White Cristmas (upstate NY), as opposed to the rainy Washington weather - but those Christmases away from home had a way of growning on you over many yhears in the Navy.

Best wishes to all for a blessed Christmas - and best to all in 2015!

Irv

Key West, 1956. I was an SO3 just completed “A” school, and painting classrooms while awaiting the next class behind the Green Doors.

I was on leave in Ohio, from Key West (1969) The day after Christmas I married my high school sweetheart and on the 26th of this month Chris and I will celebrate our 45th anniversary! We extend our wishes to each of you for a wonderful and safe Christmas!

I was at NOPF FORD ISLAND 1982, found my first valid threat contact that midwatch. While Hawaii is beautiful, is not the place a young man from NY, wants to spend his first Christmas away from his family.

I went on Recruit Leave from RTC San Diego Company 628 in 1967. A really unique situation, I was proud to wear my Dress Blues and Pea Coat, but was shunned by my peer group when I wore it to all the old hang outs! My first experience with a new liberal attitude regarding "war monger" military stereotypes in the Vietnam era. A very Merry Christmas and Happy Holiday season to all!

Rick,

I was arriving at RTC San Diego in 1967 (Company 717), when you were leaving.

John

Argentia - 1970. I was a 2x6 USNR. I had just reported onboard in late October. I have a photo taken 2330, 24DEC1970 on Bert Campbell's Argentia1 site. I think it might be in the Photo Library here but I got a blank page again when I tried to access the Photo Library. I spent 4 Christmas' at Argentia, then 4 in Key West, then 3 at Keflavik. Merry Christmas to ALL.

My first Navy Christmas was 1967 at Recruit Training San Diego, arrived there on Dec 5th. AT&T brought in trailers with phones on them, spend 4 hours waiting in line to use phone to have no one home, so called a friend's parents to relay the message to family.
Everyone have a Very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.
Wife and I celebrated 4o th Anniversary on Dec 7th.

Argentia 1966.

Happy Holidays and a Healthy New Year to all.

J & P

Ed -

You are like the "Pied Piper". All you have to do is post a "note" (pun intended) on the message board, and the replies from members follow in hordes! This is the longest string of responses I have seen in quite some time..... must be that magic "SOSUS dust" that you have collected all these years!

Wishing you a blessed Christmas and MANY MORE with your IUSS family.

Dee

NavFac Ramey AFB, Puerto Rico, 1961.

NTC San Diego 1959

1969...At NTC Great Lakes,Mich.,Company #673,just 3 weeks shy of Graduation,before going to Key West,Fla.,Fleet Sonar School,to become a STGSA behind the "Green Doors"! Later-on after many NAVFAC Duties,and Navy A&B&E Schools,I was Forever Graced in my Life,as both an Analyst and Maintenance OT!! The memories are Treasured,with All my Fellow Shipmates,and Duty Sta's. It is with Great Pleasure to Wish All My Fellow SOSUS/ITASS/IUSS Associates A Very Merry Christmas and/or Holiday(as some of our personnel were Jewish),and A Happy and Healthy New Year. God Bless All!!!

Rick,
You weren't far behind me. I was company 588. Graduated boot camp in November 1969.

RTC Great Lakes 1964, 1/2 century ago.

My first christmas in the Navy was spent on duty on the USS Blue Ridge in dry dock in Long Beach Naval shipyard in 1975.

My first Christmas in the Navy was in 1963 and I was attending ET “A” School at Great Lakes. They were going to close the school down and we had a choice of staying there or taking leave. Decided to take leave and go home to Massachusetts so caught a train out of Chicago. You can imagine how surprised I was when I woke up the next morning, looked out the window and saw the Canadian Flag flying. During the night we had been unexpectedly re-routed due to weather.

Wishing everyone a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

Gil

First Christmas in Navy 1962 spent at NAS Pensacola waiting for A & O schools in Key West.

Behind the Green Doors painting. Was the song "What's Going On Behind The Green Doors written by Smokey?

Darel,

I'm quite sure it was and I'm equally sure we don't want to hear him sing it!!

J

my first Christmas in the Navy was at Cape Hatteras in 1965. jack Thompson and I were readers working for Jack Holskrom.

I was in Arg 1982. I was New to the command and like most junior sailors, I had to pull other duties before actually working in the T building. I was assigned to the galley and was working as a cashier that day! Not what I had really expected but you do the job you are given. 32 years later it seems like yesterday!

Visits: