IUSSCAA Wallpapers
Ocean Night 1280x1024 1024X768 800X600
Mid-Watch   1280x1024 1024X768 800X600

IUSSCAA Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
The Real Cause of the American Revolution

Rum helped spur on the American Revolution. It is estimated that around 3 gallons of rum were consumed per person per year in the American colonies shortly before the American Revolution. Rum production was also colonial New England’s largest industry. The passing of the Sugar Act in 1764, also known as the American Revenue Act, drastically disrupted the economy of many of the American colonies. Among other things, this act resulted in the colonies having to increase the price on their rum, which allowed the British West Indies to increase their market share of the sale of rum. This act, along with the later Stamp Act, enraged some of the colonists and helped establish the “no taxation without representation” creed that eventually became a rallying cry for the revolutionists.

Re: The Real Cause of the American Revolution

A great book is "THE SEEDS OF DISCONTENT" The Deep Roots of the American Revolution 1650-1750 by J. Revell Carr. Rev is a fraternity brother and classmate from Rutgers, 1962 and Navy OCS Class 61. He was curator of the MYSTIC SEAPORT MUSEUM IN MYSTIC, CT for 30 years and a recognized expert on the old sailing ships. A good read about what I consider a neglected era of our country's history. EKD

As an early American history buff I thank you guys for those posts. Ed, I haven't read that book but will look for it tonight. If you haven't read Liz Chaney's recent book about James Madison its definitely a great work.

Will look into my it. Thanks Randy. Merry Christmas to you and your family, EKD

Merry Christmas to you and yours too, Ed. Downloaded that book last night and already enjoying it. Thanks, again.

Visits: