IUSSCAA Wallpapers
Ocean Night 1280x1024 1024X768 800X600
Mid-Watch   1280x1024 1024X768 800X600

IUSSCAA Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Your Most Memorable Navy (not necessarily the best) New Year

I so enjoyed reading the stories in response to Smokey's post about your first Navy Christmas, I thought some of you might be inclined to "gin up" one about your most memorable New Year's experience. Here's one, to start:

Myself and three Navy buddies flew off San Nicolas Island (late December 1961) to Pt. Mugu Naval Air Station, rented a brand new 1962 Chevy Impala convertible (white with red interior) and drove East to Pasadena to celebrate New Years and go to the Rose Parade and Rose Bowl game. All of us had new suits (that was required attire at the time to get into some of the ritzy night clubs) - and it was a real treat to get out of our uniforms.

After arriving at Pasadena, we got permission from a service station owner to park the car there, went into the men's room and changed from uniforms to civies. After that, we proceeded to have a bit of "liquid refreshment" to prepare ourselves for the festivities to follow. The next day or so was mostly a "blur" in my mind (same for my buds) and we ended up camped out New Year's eve on the main drag where the Rose Parade was to be the next day. It so happened that I had what looked like a portable radio (a hi-tech thing at the time), which was actually a 3-flask container for bourbon, gin and rum (yum, yum). It even had a telescoping antenna so no one would know the difference.

The next morning I woke up in a fog and rolled over in my sleeping bag. Yo, and behold, there was a really nice looking lady beside me. Then, when a broad smile crossed her face, she was lacking several teeth!! My most urgent wish at that moment, since she was fully dressed, was: I hope things didn't go too far that night!

Next, it seems as though one of our guys was missing - so, search and rescue time. We found him about an hour later, under a large shrub, camped out with a nice looking lady, with red sloe gin dribbling down his chin - all over his white shirt and new suit. Then, it was on to the Rose Bowl game - for which I still had plenty of reserves in my 3-flask "radio". I don't remember a **** thing about that game, but they tell me that the Minnesota Gophers defeated the UCLA Bruins.

Now, here is where it really gets interesting: since I was the only one over 21 years of age (at the ripe old age of nearly 24), I had to rent that beautiful Impala convertible and sign all the legal papers. It was now time to pack up our stuff and head back to the service station to get the car. Only problem was, we could not remember what brand gas or where the station was. NOT GOOD !! After no luck going to a dozen or so in the area, time was running out for us to get back, or risk being AOL.

We gave up and hopped a Gray Hound bus. All the way back I kept going over the words to "explain" how we managed to lose a brand new Chevy Impala! Once at the car rental place (I think it was in Oxnard), the words out of my mouth were not even close to those I had carefully rehearsed. I think I blurted out something like: "I don't know how, but we lost your car - or maybe someone stole it." I was amazed when they "let me off the hook" and told me that if the car could not be found, it would be covered by the insurance that I had signed for. Wheewwhhh ! What a sigh of relief I felt inside. Never did know what became of that car.

We made it back to SNI and I think I had the mid watch that very night (we were standing a 2,2,2 and 96 at the time). I did not go off that island again until around June of 1962 - when a bunch of us went to Big Bear Lake in the San Bernandino Mountains. But, that is a whole other story (some of which can not be told)!

Best to all in 2015 !!

Irv (Dee)

Re: Your Most Memorable Navy (not necessarily the best) New Year

I remember fondly my first New Years Eve in the Navy. 1964, I was going through STG "A" school in San Diego. Buck Owens was the featured entertainer at a New Years Eve bash being held in one of the local hotels. Me and a buddy got tickets to it, and we had a blast. Neither one of us was old enough to drink legally, but we were in dress blues and didn't pay for a drink all night. Every time I hear Buck sing Act Naturally, it takes me right back to that party. Man! We had a great time!

Visits: