IUSSCAA Wallpapers
Ocean Night 1280x1024 1024X768 800X600
Mid-Watch   1280x1024 1024X768 800X600

IUSSCAA Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Flu heads up

Most of you already know the flu has been awful this year and that the primary flu shot given to date is not very effective against the prevelant strain going around. This is particularly true for those of us over 50. The strain I got recently lead to pneumonia and a couple days in the hospital. The symptoms I had after the flu had run most of its course were extreme fatigue (low blood oxygen) and a nasty cough which hurt a lot. I thought I would pass this on as a heads up to be cautious, even of you got a flu shot, and be aware of pneumonia symptoms. It ain't fun....

Re: Flu heads up

Did you already have the Pneumonia Shot? TOM

Tom, ironically enough my doc at last year's physical told me he would give me the pneumonia shot this year. (I'll be 64 next month.) Scott, I'm glad things didn't get worse for you. I lost weight too, which I could ill-afford. Good point Frog, glad to hear from you.

Guys,
Lots of discussions in the Medical field about the effectiveness of both the pneumonia and the shingles shots as well. Also I wonder why Tamaflu has to be a prescription drug. I have been told to keep a prescription of that on hand. Lets face it the Drug Companies rule the Doctors. Enough said. Go south and stay in the AC while the snow birds are here, that will cut your chances of getting sick in half.
Chuck

I can echo Randy's comments on the flu. While I wasn't hospitalized I became very ill for about a week and lost about six pounds. I had the flu shot in early November and it didn't seem to do any good. I have to get the shot each year as my wife had a bone marrow transplant and it's on the order of her oconologist. Given the problems I had this year I'm seriously looking for a way around this issue. I would strongly recommend anyone contemplating this shot to discuss it with your physician first and even consider foregoing the shot.

While watching the news tonight, it was stated that there is a theory amongst some that getting a flu shot every year might not be beneficial especially if there is a difference between last years shot and this years shot. Thought is last years shot may still be in your system and may contradict this years to an extent. Just a theory but something to think about.

Bottom line, only you can do what you feel is best for you

Frog

Visits: