IUSSCAA Wallpapers
Ocean Night 1280x1024 1024X768 800X600
Mid-Watch   1280x1024 1024X768 800X600

IUSSCAA Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
midwatch rambles

During my typical 0300 stroll (some of you can probably relate), a few thoughts came to me. None of them are very serious. I'm just happy that I remembered them when I woke up again at 0500! Maybe they'll bring a smile.

1. Where have all the SDR's gone? And actuators, deltics, specans, etc?

In some dusty warehouse? Dumped offshore to make a reef? Given to some third world ally to develop their medical ultrasound technology?

2. "Green Zombies Fix It With Rapid Quick Jumpers"? (or something similar, since this is a PG room)

What the heck is that? I know green is a ground wire; Z is impedance, F is a fuse.... help!

3. 3.0707 to 4.0605

Why do those numbers keep cycling through my mind? Something to do with old wooden-hulled oceangoing minesweepers, I think?

4. Timefax crates - not the individual roll boxes; the BIG heavy duty crates that could withstand a nuclear near miss.

Didn't those things have something like nine full size rolls and two smaller rolls? WHY?

5. Lloyd's Register + Marine Diesel Handbook

Could you still do it? Use those two pubs, I mean. And did ANY of us actually see the process successfully used in REAL time to assist in anything truly useful?

6. Remember Three Dog Night's "Celebrate"?

And how someone inevitably started singing it every time we broke out the date stamps?

And finally.. FINALLY...a lighter note. Found this today as a hit in the "Wheresgeorge.com" currency tracking program:

"Wife's cash - to be marked and IMMEDIATELY returned to her!
Thanks to all you old time Ocean Systems Techs (A's & M's) for your faithful watches in the sea."

Makes you feel good, doesn't it? SOMEONE remembers us!

Re: midwatch rambles

Hey Loren I remember a couple of times at Lewes where there was a flame exhibition at various times in the electronics shop, that was worth of several laughs.
OTMC Duane Brosdahl

Lorren, number 2 was a saying to help remember the designators for soviet Diesels I think. Sorry ofr the rude wake up at Lewes when the MDL started going backward and sucked the lines off the grams and pumped them into the ocean....I was young and a lot faster in those days, good thing too as I think you were going to try and kill me!!

I wish I could remember the young STs name but I can't but I recall he and I trying to unravel a steam reciprocating engine signature using the Marine Diesel Handbook and Lloyds on a Mid. Talk about trying to make chicken salad out of Chicken S--t!!!!!!!!!!!

Great Post Lorren!!

J

Visits: