IUSSCAA Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Still Above The Grassline

welcome back

Thanks for the update Rick, we are all hoping for your continued recovery and cannot wait until the fish are biting.

Good to hear that you have decided to stay above the grasslike for a long time to come. Ed

Welcome home, Rick. You were missed.

Rick, I didn't realize the extent of all you have been going through. Hang tight my friend, you have so many admirers and supporters on here.

Glad to hear that you are home and still with us on this side of the grass Rick. Continue to fight the good fight my friend. You are in my thoughts and prayers.

Rick,
Your strength and willpower to beat this thing is admired by all of us. All of your old SOSUS friends are with you. Stay strong my friend. Ed

Rick,

Our best to you old friend. Like so many others, we didn't realize the battle that you are fighting.

You are in our prayers.

John and Pat

Rick,
You were and are a true inspiration. Keep up the great fight and it won't be long until the fish start biting again. Hang in there old friend.
You are in our thoughts and prayers.

Sandy

Rick,
Keep up the fight. Our prayers are with you and your family.
If you are ever in the area, stopping and fish our pond.

John Heizer

Rick,
You never know what it is all about until you are in a "see the light at the end of the tunnel" situation. I have some experience, however nothing like you have gone through, or are going through. Keep your chin up and an open mind. Stay positive. Linda and I are praying for you. God Bless your family.
Chuck & Linda

Thanks for the update Rick - we are almost neighbors now, as Peggy and I are currently trying to get settled in Kansas. I haven't been fresh-water fishing in a real long time. Perhaps you could teach me a thing or two.

Where is Kansas?

I am south of Olathe, KS.

George -

Yeah, I too am wondering where you and Peg are located in Kansas. Hoping the sale of your home in Idaho and your move to KS went well. Email me when you get the time. If you might be doing any bass fishing this coming summer, I have a few tips that might help you land some "lunkers".....largemouth, smallmouth, makes no difference.

Dee

I doubt I could teach you much George, but Joan can probably give us both pointers! She routinely outfishes me during spring trips. The girls will probably give us both a lesson. I'll be in touch soon! Also, great news from the Cancer Center today (see below post)!

Rick,

Glad to hear the cardio guys and gals were able to patch you up. Having been down part of that road, it sounds like you were pretty deep in the woods. Keep up with your walking, stay on your meds and give Joan an extra hug every day. We'll be thinking of you.

Roger

Major Good News Today Above The Grassline!

Thanks for the very kind and supportive comments, and especially the prayers, from everyone. They mean more than you can imagine. I would ask that you all include a couple of our shipmates in your thoughts. Jack Fessler and Jerry Juliana are both fighting hard to return to better health. I am bolstered by their courage and positive focus to beat the issues they confront. Hang tough guys! We're with you!

Today I completed a follow-up review that commenced 90 days ago for the status and progress of oncological actions to attack and halt the progress of my prostate cancer. The process included multiple blood tests, CT scans, physical exams and hemotological studies. It was following the bulk of those tests and the final chemotherapy session on 18 December, that the other issues occurred and caused my recent brush with the reaper. As noted by a wise man above, everything happens for a reason. I had been informed prior to the follow-up review that the IMRT and chemo appeared to have halted and reversed the growth of the tumor. That "remission" indicator prompted the review to determine the status of the cancer. That result indicated the following in today's report:
1) Bone scan indicates no indicated cancer metastasis.
2) Blood work indicates no antigen presence for cancer.
3) Physcical exam indicates no physical presence of cancer tumor.
4) Related CT and MRI found no continued presence of cancer tumor.

The bottom line review diagnosis... "Total Remission - Probability > 75%"

My Oncologist had a grin a mile wide as he asked me to check-in in 6 months, or sooner if I felt I needed to! He said that barring unforseen events the results represented a functional cure and he didn't expect recurrence!

Amen

Re: Major Good News Today Above The Grassline!

I've been following your thread...this is GREAT NEWS. It is my turn to begin External Beam Radiation Therapy next Wed. Mine is also very aggressive but is still contained in the prostate. I find hope and encouragement from your story. Thank you and good luck with your new future prognosis.

The focused radiation treatments can really stop the cancer in it's tracks. There are side effects and collateral damage is probable, but halting a high Gleason score cancer is worth it as far as I'm concerned. Do everything your oncologist recommends, and support the treatments with the diet they give you. The chemo is what really knocks the weakend cancer on its heels. It knocks you in other ways as well, but stay focused and it can really put the cancer worries to bed. Hang in there. I'll be putting in a word each night for your healing and recovery!

Best to you,

Rick

Great news, Rick. Congratulations.

Great news Rick. Keep the faith and keep on fishin'. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

Thanks John! Will do!
Best,
Rick

Wonderful news, Rick. You are certainly blessed, my friend. Will continue to keep you and Joan in our thoughts and prayers throughout. By sharing this journey with all of us on this message board you have inspired so many. Thank you.

Thank Jim,
Your messages and prayers helped a lot during the dark days early on. The initial "remission" diagnosis we discussed a few months back was very encouraging, but the full testing diagnosis significantly lifted the negatives that weigh so much on your mind. Now I need to heal up the damage done getting the cancer under control. An amazing sequence of events during the last 30 days.

Best to you and Kathy,

Rick

Rick:

Wonderful news: back from the brink and getting further away each day. Congratulations.

My oncologist told me not to obsess but "Let the future come to you."

I'm also trying some "unconventional" therapy popular in Europe but not FDA approved for use here: extract from Mistletoe that grows on oak trees. Injections in the stomach every other day at gradually increasing strength.

Best for the new year and many to follow,

Bruce

Thanks Bruce.

I also went unconventional with 3 months of the Baking Soda and Grade B Maple Syrup treatment paradigm during the last three months of the chemo. Not sure what effect it had, but it didn't hurt or complicate my treatment.

Cancer cells don't do well in highly alkaline environments and by cooking the baking soda with the sweet syrup it created a combination that was attractive to the cancer until it is absorbed and the baking soda's alkalinity stomps on it. See link.

It was just another of a combination of several elements... IMRT, diet, chemo, etc; and what impact it had is unknown... but then any treatment that has demonstrated results for some and that doesn't conflict with everything else you are doing seems to be value added to me.

Keep up the good fight... you are in our thoughts,

Best

Rick

Really glad to hear of your positive status. I was diagnosed with aggressive prostate cancer almost 3 years ago now. The hardest thing was deciding which treatment to have since the doctors now leave that up to the patient. Finally chose the da Vinci prostatectomy (robot-assisted laparoscopic prostate removal). Cancer free as of my 2 year checkup. Still deal with a little stress incontinence - but I can live with that!

Great news that you remain free of cancer Mike. I was evaluated for the same treatment you underwent. The bottom line was that due to my size and weight the laproscopic surgery wouldn't be the best option for me. I was told that the latest version of IMRT and androgen chemo could achieve the same result and reduce side effects. I had some bladder muscles damaged by the radiation, but not causing incontinence. I have to cath intermittently but it isn't as bad as it sounds. Here's wishing us both a continued cancer-free life. Now I have to try and beat the endocrine system damage caused by the chemotherapy. That is rippling across my heart condition and causing the recent problems. I'm pressing forward hoping to get back in sync and remaining cancer-free. At 66 I'm just hoping for 10 more years of fishing!

Best to you!

Rick

Rick -

I would like to give you "two thumbs up" for beating the terrible affliction you suffered through, but a "one thumb" will have to do! It sound like you did all the right things and made some good, informed choices. As you said, the prayers from all were probably the most helpful. BZ to you, to those who offered their support and to those who attended to your illness.

We now have a nephew in a similar predicament - in AZ with stage 4 kidney/other??? cancers. He is being treated at Cancer Centers of America and they are now trying some type of treatment/meds?? that are used in Europe with great success, but not yet available in the U.S. He is receiving HUGE amount of support from family and friends, alike.

God bless you, and all those who helped in your fight (in whatever way). Wishing you a long, healthy and happy rest of your life.

Irv (Dee) DeMatties

Dee,
Thanks for the kind words.

There is no place better than CTCA to fight advanced cancer. They have the very best people and methods available to the average person afflicted with this terrible disease. I wish for him every possible positive outcome to his treatment.

I know there is no cure for cancer. Remission is just a way of saying that my disease has ducked out of sight. Having a 75% functional cure is another way of saying that I will probably punch out from something other than prostate cancer during the years remaining. I can't ask for more from treatment than that.

I'll keep your nephew in my thoughts and pray for a successful battle with his disease.

Best,
Rick

You are truly an inspiration to all. My father had cancer 3 times. He always felt that a positive attitude and prayers were the real secret to beating the disease. It finally got him, but not before he lived almost 20 years. Just think how good those fish are going to taste this time. You remain in my thoughts and prayers. All the best and congratulations on your recent reports.

Thanks Sandy, Sorry for the delayed reply. Computer issues. Rick

Rick,

I've been praying for you buddy. I'm glad to hear things are turning around and you are fighting the good fight.Take care

Bob

Thanks again to all for your support and well wishes. Starting rehab therapy next Tuesday. Can't wait to get outside and do some walking. Aim small, miss small.
Cheers,
Rick

Hello Old Friend, Just keep fighting this and we will all be pulling for you. John and Pat

having recently joined the "afiB" club I wish you the best of luck rick...all we can do is kick butt...im moving to table rock where medical might not be as good but the lake is kick butt....
jack

Visits: