IUSSCAA Wallpapers
Ocean Night 1280x1024 1024X768 800X600
Mid-Watch   1280x1024 1024X768 800X600

IUSSCAA Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Major Good News Today Above The Grassline!

Really glad to hear of your positive status. I was diagnosed with aggressive prostate cancer almost 3 years ago now. The hardest thing was deciding which treatment to have since the doctors now leave that up to the patient. Finally chose the da Vinci prostatectomy (robot-assisted laparoscopic prostate removal). Cancer free as of my 2 year checkup. Still deal with a little stress incontinence - but I can live with that!

Great news that you remain free of cancer Mike. I was evaluated for the same treatment you underwent. The bottom line was that due to my size and weight the laproscopic surgery wouldn't be the best option for me. I was told that the latest version of IMRT and androgen chemo could achieve the same result and reduce side effects. I had some bladder muscles damaged by the radiation, but not causing incontinence. I have to cath intermittently but it isn't as bad as it sounds. Here's wishing us both a continued cancer-free life. Now I have to try and beat the endocrine system damage caused by the chemotherapy. That is rippling across my heart condition and causing the recent problems. I'm pressing forward hoping to get back in sync and remaining cancer-free. At 66 I'm just hoping for 10 more years of fishing!

Best to you!

Rick

Rick -

I would like to give you "two thumbs up" for beating the terrible affliction you suffered through, but a "one thumb" will have to do! It sound like you did all the right things and made some good, informed choices. As you said, the prayers from all were probably the most helpful. BZ to you, to those who offered their support and to those who attended to your illness.

We now have a nephew in a similar predicament - in AZ with stage 4 kidney/other??? cancers. He is being treated at Cancer Centers of America and they are now trying some type of treatment/meds?? that are used in Europe with great success, but not yet available in the U.S. He is receiving HUGE amount of support from family and friends, alike.

God bless you, and all those who helped in your fight (in whatever way). Wishing you a long, healthy and happy rest of your life.

Irv (Dee) DeMatties

Dee,
Thanks for the kind words.

There is no place better than CTCA to fight advanced cancer. They have the very best people and methods available to the average person afflicted with this terrible disease. I wish for him every possible positive outcome to his treatment.

I know there is no cure for cancer. Remission is just a way of saying that my disease has ducked out of sight. Having a 75% functional cure is another way of saying that I will probably punch out from something other than prostate cancer during the years remaining. I can't ask for more from treatment than that.

I'll keep your nephew in my thoughts and pray for a successful battle with his disease.

Best,
Rick

You are truly an inspiration to all. My father had cancer 3 times. He always felt that a positive attitude and prayers were the real secret to beating the disease. It finally got him, but not before he lived almost 20 years. Just think how good those fish are going to taste this time. You remain in my thoughts and prayers. All the best and congratulations on your recent reports.

Thanks Sandy, Sorry for the delayed reply. Computer issues. Rick

Re: Still Above The Grassline

Rick,

I've been praying for you buddy. I'm glad to hear things are turning around and you are fighting the good fight.Take care

Bob

Thanks again to all for your support and well wishes. Starting rehab therapy next Tuesday. Can't wait to get outside and do some walking. Aim small, miss small.
Cheers,
Rick

Hello Old Friend, Just keep fighting this and we will all be pulling for you. John and Pat

having recently joined the "afiB" club I wish you the best of luck rick...all we can do is kick butt...im moving to table rock where medical might not be as good but the lake is kick butt....
jack

Visits: