Ocean Night 1280x1024 1024X768 800X600
Mid-Watch   1280x1024 1024X768 800X600

IUSSCAA Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Off Topic: Mt St Helens and a Perspective on Life at an Advanced Age

My Dad passed away just over a year ago now. They took him by helicopter to the hospital in Sioux Falls, SD where the doctors confirmed he had pneumonia and put him on a ventilator to help him breath. He had major damage to his lungs and would have been in and out of the hospital for months to come with extended therapy. His wishes and living will stated that if he couldn't have quality of life he didn't want to be kept alive just for the sake of living. We could tell he was not happy with being on the ventilator and in the hospital.

The hospital palliative care team wanted to keep treating him for several more days to try and get him better but we knew that is not what he would want. We used a letter board so he could spell out words by pointing to letters and he very clearly spelled out "I don't want na to live anymore" and then "take tube out". We granted him his wish to die with dignity and as soon as we let him know we would honor his wishes he was again calm and at peace with that. He lived a great 86 years, taught and showed us many things, and is now in heaven with Mom and all of his other relatives and friends.

Dad was in the U.S. Navy from 8/1/45 to 7/27/46, serving first in the recruiting office at Camp Parks, California, and then in the transportation division at Mare Island, California. Hence my choice to enlist in the Navy when I graduated from college in 1970 and was draft motivated to join a military service.

Visits: