Ocean Night 1280x1024 1024X768 800X600
Mid-Watch   1280x1024 1024X768 800X600

IUSSCAA Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Passing of OTACS Dave "Bergie" Berglund, USN (Ret) - 5 July 2015

The list of distinguished responders is evidence of the respect and admiration that Dave has earned throughout our community. It is hoped that memories of happier days will help ease the pain that his family is feeling at this very difficult time. - Ed Smock

Dave was one of the BEST analysts, Senior Chief Petty Officers and people I've had the pleasure of knowing. Rest in peace my friend.

I Won't comment on Bergies analysis skills, that has been stated by better than me, and nobody can disagree with it. I will say that Bergie was a true friend, one you could call on at any time and for any reason....He never let down a shipmate.

The world is a little darker place without him in it, and I'm sure he's smiling at all the comments on here. I'll bet his response would just be, but that's the way it's supposed to be.

I will copy and forward a letter with all of these comments to Mary Berglund in a week or so - something she can share with their three children. Of note, I also posted the notice on Facebook (IUSS Members page & OTs and OTAs/OTMs page). In just 24 hours there are over 80 comments from friends and shipmates from across the country and overseas. Dave Berglund was a very well respected man. - Jim

I can picture Dave hobbling around on that bum hip with a big smile on his face. He had more enthusiasm for the system than any one else I ever knew.

Dave was a great friend and shipmate.....i don't think you need to be more than that.

Rest in Peace, old pal. We'll miss you.

Nick

I was shocked and deeply saddened with the news this morning about Dave Berglund. Bergie and I were roommates in A school and at RTF Ferndale. A few years later we were stationed in Kef in 85-86. He was my neighbor. Bergie was always a little crazy in A school, driving to Florida every weekend to see his girl Mary. Monday mornings back in class were always a little rough for Bergie since he had arrived back in Norfolk only an hour or two before class started. Amazing stamina.
I ran into Bergie again right before we retired. He had not changed a bit. He was dedicated to training the next generation of analysts. Bergie had an infectiously positive personality. So approachable. He was a mentor to so many. Everyone wanted to be around Bergie. Easy to follow. Everyone wanted Bergie on their team.
I am fortunate to have known Bergie and have him as a friend.
My deepest condolences go out to his family. May he rest in peace.

It is with a heavy heart that I read this notice about the loss of our dear friend Bergie. My thoughts go out to Mary and the kids. Bergie was a one of a kind sailor and I had the honor of working alongside him for several years. Each day of that time was fun, busy, and rewarding, mostly because of Bergie.
I will miss him and am left with the cherished memories, smiles, and roaring laughter than only Bergie brought to our party.
RIP my friend.
Chuck Gagnon

Very sad news, and hard to imagine. He was always smiling, with his pipe in the corner of his mouth, and he always just seemed so full of life. He was an amazing mentor to so many from my generation...he truly helped to shape my life as an analyst. I remember when he was my LPO in QA in Brawdy, and I learned so much from him.

I'll never forget my first day as a Command Duty Analyst, when I got called in at midnight, as a young OTA2, to make a command decision that would contradict with the decision of the Chief on watch. I called him, all panicky, not knowing what to do. He was a bit peeved that I woke him (and Mary) up in the middle of the night, but he calmly interrupted my babbling and said "Brett, is it or isn't it?" I thought for a minute and said "No, it's not it". And he said "Then there you go. And I trust you. Now let me go back to sleep!" That was a defining moment in my career as an analyst, and my life in general. Such a class act.

And he never complained when I was there at night and stole one of the Nutty Buddy cookies he kept in his desk. :)

Great memories of a great Sailor, a legendary OT. He will be missed by so many. Condolences to his family.

Another shipmate passing way too soon. Bergie was a great friend and consummate professional. He passed way to early. God rest his soul.

In my initial response to Jim's advisory by email I confirmed that I had never had the privilege to stand watch or be stationed with Dave. I do know many of his friends and shipmates... and they ALL have expressed their fondness and respect for him, both personally and professionally. I can only say that it would have been my honor and privilege to have manned the watch with Dave and numbered him among my friends.

Fair Winds Senior Chief.

It broke my heart to read this news. Bergie was the best. I smile when I think about him walking into Q.A. at Dam Neck, with that grin on his face and saying Chris, let's go smoke we need to talk. He taught he so much. My prayers are with his family. RIP my friend!

My sincerest condolences to Mary and the kids. I knew Bergie at Brawdy and JMF. When I arrived at JMF as the Maintenance Chief, Bergie and his pal Scotty were right there to welcome me and give me the lay of the land, even though I was one of the "downstairs" folks. Later, when I filled in as the OPS LCPO, I could always count on Bergie to set me straight and give me the analytics to go by. Indeed, he was a analysts analyst. I was very fortunate to have someone like him to call a friend. I have the honor and privilege to be one of the recipients of the shadow boxes he made and I treasure it to this day. I suspect that he has tuned up the QA process for those who are allowed in Heaven by now. I will miss him.

Visits: