Ocean Night 1280x1024 1024X768 800X600
Mid-Watch   1280x1024 1024X768 800X600

IUSSCAA Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Philosophical Conjectures About the SA with Four Hash Marks

Two quickies that might make you all smile....

In the summer of 1971, I was in Boot Camp at Great Lakes. One of the MAA'a at our chow hall was a red-headed third class with 5 red hash marks on his crackerjacks. He had the most highly spit-shined boondockers I ever saw. When he screamed nut-to-butt, he wasn't joking. Saw him kick many a slow boot in the ass. Never get away with that today.

Ten years later I'm in Yokosuka and the Special Projects Chiefs (Upham, Mathews, Scarborough and others) are bugging the crap out of me to produce my construction project...which I hadn't even started. Finally decided to get over to the hobby shop and see what I could do.

The fella at the hobby shop was devoid of front teeth, looked older than my father and was incredulous that I had been selected for CPO already. After giving me a full ration for being too young to be a Chief, he agreed to help me with my project.

Directly after initiation, I went away for 7 months and in the summer of '82, I was down on the piers for something and run into the guy from the hobby shop.
Turned out he was a BM1 (if memory serves, he was on the Blue Ridge) getting ready to finish a 30 year career.

We had a good laugh over the fact that he joined the Navy about three years before I was born.

Re: Philosophical Conjectures About the SA with Four Hash Marks

Great story Nick! Glad you're back. Miss the humor!!

J

Visits: