Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Big Bird

Any update on john

Re: Big Bird

Ed and others who may be interested:

Re: your inquiry on "Big Bird"

I talked with Edie a couple of weeks ago. She said that John, for the most part, is "holding his own". He has his moments when he somewhat "spaces out" with an irrelevant memory of the past (nothing connected with the on-going conversation with others) - but most of the time is coherent. Also, on a positive note, he spends most of the day, up and about, in his wheelchair. Previously, I recall Edie and Craig Barnhart (Barney)saying that John was barely able to sit up in bed or stand on his own.

Myself and a former Pac Beach shipmate (Jim Rygh - PN3 at the time, now retired PN1) were considering flying down to visit John. Unfortunately, he was not able due to prior committments - and we had some unexpected company from out of town, as well as my brother coming next week from CA. So, that kind of put the skids (at least temporarily) to that idea. Still on my agenda to get down to see John and Edie - maybe this fall.

Also, Edie said that John's son ("Little John") who lives in Westminster CO, would like John and Edie to relocate near him, which Edie is "considering" but is somewhat hesitant to do so, as she and John have established care from their current doctors, nursing home, etc. - yet, she and John have not ruled out the possibility of relocating nearer to his son.

I try to call Edie on a fairly regular basis, to check on John's status and she ALWAYS welcomes my calls...........and sounds the same as she did when we were with the in Hawaii, back in the 78-81 timeframe !!

Also, she and John MOST WELCOME emails, letters and phone calls from any of John's former shipmates/aquaintenances.......... so, here is their contact information, which Edie will happily communicate to John:

Edie and John Emory
545 FM 1488 Rd - Apt 1209
Conroe, TX 77384
Phone: (936) 777-4875 (Edie's cell)
Email: manoagal@gmail.com

Visits: