IUSSCAA Wallpapers
Ocean Night 1280x1024 1024X768 800X600
Mid-Watch   1280x1024 1024X768 800X600

IUSSCAA Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Sad report on the passing of our friend Frank Gambino

I’m so sorry to send this follow-up report on Frank.

It is with sadness to report that Frank passed away this afternoon, August 7, 2015.

Frank Gambino Wake/Funeral Arrangements:
August 10, 2015, Monday, 7 – 9 PM, Wake/Viewing, Pumphrey Funeral Home.
August 11, 2015, Tuesday, 9AM, One hour service, Pumphrey Funeral Home;
Followed by burial at Resurrection Cemetery, Clinton, MD

Rest in peace my friend. – Ed Smock

Re: Sad report on the passing of our friend Frank Gambino

The next to the last paragraph of the ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS section of WHY THE USS SCORPION WAS LOST expresses appreciation to “FG who convinced the author he should publish.”

“FG” was Frank Gambino who did not want his involvement in that decision to be publicly acknowledged; however, I could not let his pivotal influece pass without some reference, even though oblique.

Frank was the best of the analysis group assembled by Joe Kelly as the Data Processing Unit at the Brooklyn Naval Shipyard in the mid-1950s to support SOSUS in the very early days that only Ed Smock may remember.

Later, when Frank came to Washington to work for Joe Kelly at NAVELEX, we worked together on foreign system development and operations

So long ago, and so well remembered. My best then, and now, in memory.

Bruce Rule

Very sad news. Frank was an original. He positively influenced so much in our system. I will miss his humor and his friendship.
Chuck Gagnon

Such a sad loss. So many friends are passing over. Soon a grand reunion in a better place. My prayers and thoughts are with the family.

You did it well Frank, and America owes you a debt of gratitude!

Frank was truly one of the legends in the SOSUS community. It is do sad to experience the losses which are becoming all too frequent now. It is heartwarming that so many of us still feel that sense of "family" so many years later. We couldn't have known then, what so many of us have come to realize a half century later. We're still on watch. My sincere condolences to Frank's family and close friends.

Wonderfully Elegant statement about Frank, and the SOSUS Community George. I believe I had met him once or twice. Prayers to his family. So sad we as a "Family" are in fact nearing endangered species status.
Chuck

Working with Frank at PME-124 in 82-84 was one of the best times in my career. From day one with his banana story to leaving he was always pushing for the best possible outcome for the system. His sense of humor would always brighten anyone's day. I'll always remember his smile and am very sad to hear of his passing.

Visits: