Ocean Night 1280x1024 1024X768 800X600
Mid-Watch   1280x1024 1024X768 800X600

IUSSCAA Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Memories of 9/11 2001

My memory of September 11, 2001

I was on temporary assignment (5 days) to Washington D.C. on September 11th, 2001. My 0900 meeting at the Pentagon Communications Center had been delayed 4 hours due to a scheduling conflict. Instead, I spent the morning in briefings at COMNAVTELCOM on Nebraska Ave northern D.C.. When the attacks occurred we were dismissed. It took me 3 hours to drive through D.C. (about 7 miles) to my hotel in Alexandria, VA. I drove right past the Pentagon as it burned. But by the grace of God I could have been inside. Six of the individuals I was scheduled to meet with that morning perished. The Communications Center was where the plane hit.

CDR Young Kim and I were supposed to meet in a cafeteria in the Pentagon for breakfast and then head to the Comms Center for a 0900 briefing and tour. My meeting on Monday afternoon at COMNAVTELCOM ran late and they asked me to come back in the morning to finish. So, Young and I rescheduled Tuesday's meeting to lunchtime. The six who died in the comm center worked for Young. She attended all of the funerals. Back in Virginia Beach, Kathy (then CO, NOPF Dam Neck) had my itinerary for that day and my cell phone was not working - I think all cell phones were out in D.C. for awhile. It was several hours before I got through to let her know I was OK.

On my way out of the building I stopped with a group of people around a television in a break room. We watched the smoking Trade Center and witnessed the second plane hit. I had a sickening feeling in my stomach and heart. My resolve to continue to serve was strengthened at that moment. I will never forget!

Re: Memories of 9/11 2001

Jim,
So glad you dodged a bullet, I am sure Kathy was frantic for the hours of no contact.
Linda and I were on Andros Island supporting NUSC^s efforts on the operation at AUTEC. I went o the Operation Admin building for some Environmental issue and found All the Contractors huddled around a 13" TV. That is when I learned about the attack. The announcer was saying a small plane hit the tower. I did not think it was a small plane by what I was looking at. Then it continued to unfold. Many folks were in tears, others just silent. I went back to the trailer we lived in on the base to be with Linda. Just a note of interest, My sister lived about 90 miles north of NYC at the time and had told me she saw a plane flying very low and with engines roaring at a high rate of speed and thought that was very unusual. God rest her soul, she was right.
CEC

I was off work and at hoome. I watched the events unfold on the tube and it was almost like a movie! I could not believe that this was real and was in a state of shock (as so many of us were). I saw the second plane hit and it was so unreal. The death of those people from the 3 tragic events will always be a terrible part of our history. GOD BLESS the first responders who did all they could to help.

Jim,
I was stationed in Rota and sleeping between mid watches. Jeff woke me and I came out to watch the horrific events unfold. Made for a somber watch and changed everything.

Visits: