Ocean Night 1280x1024 1024X768 800X600
Mid-Watch   1280x1024 1024X768 800X600

IUSSCAA Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: OT community

I absolutely love these stories, Nick. I was really lucky to reconnect with my good friend and plotter from Kef '77. He finished his enlistment, went on to college and a unbelievably successful business career. He recently took a job near me and met a former OT in his company.

Hey Carl....care to join in?

Nick

On another note....was in Virginia Beach last week for a nice golf vacation with my old pal Pat Carmin and to attend the wedding of Katie Brandt...daughter of Al and Carrie Brandt.

During one round of golf, I was lucky enough to run into RMCM Danny Manns....who I served with at the NOPF in the early 80's and Capt Larry Bucher....former CO of RTF Dam Neck and NavFac Arg.....both of these gents are great friends who I hadn't seen in decades....and I shot 69.

OK...the last part was a lie, Ellis.

Its good to see both Nicks on the site.

For Nick Mc, I was gonna ask what you shot on the back nine

For Nick V, you are so right on the "small world" thought. In my second career, I did a fair amount of traveling and was amazed at the number of times I came across old friends and acquaintances. George has told the story of your chance meeting at sea. That's probably the best "happenstance" meeting story I've heard.

For George, you seem to have these chance meetings often. Walking down the beach and run across George Miller and go to sea and have lunce with Nick V. It must be that magnetic personality.

J

You said it Nick - small world. Never know when you will run into as ex-OT. Like ending up elbow-to-elbow at lunch in the middle of the ocean. At least I recognized you.......

George, you never gave me a chance----think I was in "shock", after all it had been 25 years or so ---

It's still a big world out there but definitely getting smaller when trying to connect with past friends and shipmates. ; - )

I recently connected again with Tom Hardy and Al Wyman who were in the same watch section I was at Pt. Sur in the early 1970s. It was great to remember the old days, compare notes on what we thought we remembered, and bring each other up to date on our lives.

Now if I could only track down my watch officer (Ens. Mariane Soroka) from when I was a supervisor at Adak in 1974. We spent many slow watches discussing similar interests and became good friends but lost touch after I got out of the Navy the next year.

A very happy Veterans Day to all.

Phil Blauvelt was at his doctor's office a few years ago and noticed a guy wearing a Navy ball cap. Well as we all know Phil will talk to anyone. So in his conversation he found out this guy was an OT and then Phil identified himself as an OT Senior Chief. The guy asked Phil if he happened to know Warrant Officer Snyder as he was his retirement officer in Dam Neck.

Phil said he knew me. The guy asked Phil if he knew were I retired to. Phil said as a matter of fact I do, he lives about 100 yards behind my house and I see him almost everyday. This guy was Gary Pickett and lives about 5 miles from me. Again small world.

Nick, Glad you got to meet Mike Roman. I was stationed with him in ****eck and Kef. Great guy. I left the IUSS system as an OTA1 in 97 when I was commissioned as a Navy Nurse. I attended OIS in Rhode Island. While there I experienced one of those 6th degree of separation encounters. I was in a bar with some of my shipmates when these 2 enlisted guys came over asking about my IUSS pin. We had to be in uniform at the time. During our discussion they said they had worked with an awesome line officer with the IUSS pin. The most awesome female I know that went ECP and was currently a line officer is Carol McKenzie. Once the connection was made they were very excited to meet someone who knew Carol. Needless to say they bought the next round. Two of the officers I was with were new to the military and voiced their pleasure at joining such a tight knit community as the military.

Visits: