Ocean Night 1280x1024 1024X768 800X600
Mid-Watch   1280x1024 1024X768 800X600

IUSSCAA Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Letter from OPM

Agree, George. I spoke to an NCIS buddy of mine and asked him to check into it for me before I called and signed up. My letter was legit. The only information I was willing to provide for the monitoring was my name, email address and phone numbers. I do like the fact that they provide free credit history from Equifax, Experian and Transunion.

We are simple people with all banking through NFCU, no mortgage, no loans and only 2 credit cards. On card is rarely used so I'm thinking of giving them that card number as a test to see if anything strange appears. Still on the fence.

We've never had our identity stolen nor have we received any charges we were not aware of. We haven't even had a computer bug or virus to our knowledge.

That same NCIS agent gave me a bit of advice years ago that I still follow: The first address in my email contacts list is 000.000@000.000 I guess that tricks any bug or virus that gets into your system because they start at the beginning of your list and don't recognize the address as valid so they can go no further. Maybe it's not true, but we do it anyway. The one time spam was sent from my computer was the day I installed my new computer and hadn't restored my entire contacts list. Hmmm.

- Jim

Re: Letter from OPM

Maybe we are too old, but have never received any such letter. Agree thoroughly with George about sharing personal information.

Visits: