IUSSCAA Wallpapers
Ocean Night 1280x1024 1024X768 800X600
Mid-Watch   1280x1024 1024X768 800X600

IUSSCAA Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
System Old-Times Take a Collective Bow

A recent public obit included the following: “He also confirmed the existence of the first Soviet nuclear submarine based on its underwater sound signature.”

This, of coure, is simply untrue. NAVSEA 08 was finally forced to ackowledge HOTEL, ECHO and NOVEMBER Class Soviet submarines were nuclear powered not because of the contributions of any single individual but because of the collective contributions of those System (now) old-timers who accurately reported performance capabilities that required those platforms be nuclear powered.

See link to archive article enitiled: "Unconventional Soviet Submarines."

Re: System Old-Times Take a Collective Bow

Putting the existence debate aside, I'd enjoy buying a drink for the first Navfac sailor to have recognized a Type 1 detection, on a real time basis. Hopefully it was made on a mid watch while balancing coffee, a smoke and a slide rule. And if a slide rule wasn't available I can visualize long math on the back of a TARF:)
I didn't realize Papa came out of area that early. At those speeds I wouldn't be surprised if the writers vibrated off their tables and styli had to be changed every 10 minutes. A shame it wasn't recognized at the time.

Visits: