Ocean Night 1280x1024 1024X768 800X600
Mid-Watch   1280x1024 1024X768 800X600

IUSSCAA Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Passing of shipmate

Sorry to hear of Earl passing away. We were in Argentia in the 70-73 time frame. He was one of those gritty chiefs cut from the old mould. One of my lasting memories as a new section LPO was having him call me back in after a mid watch, because we didn'the sweep down adequately under the DAC consoles. I wasn't happy but neither did I overlook it again. RIP, Chief.

I am so very sorry to hear about Earl’s passing. I was stationed with Earl back in 1969 timeframe at NavFac Centerville Beach CA. He was a good friend as well as a shipmate. My thoughts and prayers are with Earl’s family at the very difficult time. Ed Smock

Re: Passing of shipmate - obit

Earl's obituary can be found at the following link:
http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/sptimes/obituary.aspx?n=earl-r-muir&pid=176906524&fhid=2358

I was in Arg from 1970-1972 and I remember the name. Thoughts and prayers for his family and friends.

I remember Chief Muir well. He was a fleet chief, and many at Arg didnt relate well to some of his methods when he took over Research Div., me included. But he was consistent and fairly administered to all hands his style of leadership. Later on in my journey I understood more fully the rationale he used. Fair winds Chief!

Dick -
Thanks for the post informing the IUSS community of OTC Muir's recent passing. I am fairly certain that he was one of the Watch Coordinator's during the time we were in Bermuca - must have been in the 1966-1969 timeframe, I expect. I believe that Earl had recently come from the fleet before BDA and if my memory serves me correctly, I had him in my watch section for a time, for indoc training.
I pray for his family's comfort during this difficult time. Shoot me an email some time.
Dee

Earl did come from the fleet prior to BDA. He was a WC when I arrived in 1/66. He and I studied for the chief test , he made it and I never heard the end of that until he came to Nantucket and I was E-8 He was a good man. Lost a lot of guys from BDA , Berringer, Hupp, Bowman. The Memorial List makes me wonder .

I remember Chief Muir from Argentia 70-73 timeframe. I was Ops YN during part of that time. I remember him as Research LCPO.

Visits: