Ocean Night 1280x1024 1024X768 800X600
Mid-Watch   1280x1024 1024X768 800X600

IUSSCAA Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: A Shipmate and Good Friend Passes

This is very sad news. Bobby and I were in the same O-school class, he as an STG3 fleet guy. We were subsequently stationed together at Argentia and lived in the same housing unit, 931. We were later stationed together in Bermuda, where I witnessed him cry happily when his chief anchors were pinned on.
Bobby was a very capable and sharp OT. If possible, he would have had hair to his shoulders and played in a rock band between day watches. He had a rebellious streak always and I say that with a smile because he was a "character". But if a team of people needed trained quickly and thoroughly it's Vermillion I would have sent out to do the job. RIP Bob Vermillion.

For Randy and Bob: It was with a lump in my throat and tear in my eye that I read your comments. You were right on the mark with all you said. I know that everyone who knew Bobby are better off for it and he will be sorely missed. I know how proud he feels looking down from his final resting place and reading what has been written about him. It is my honor to say that I had him as a shipmate and great friend. RIP Bobby.

John,
I can not add a thing to what you posted, So Sad.
He had a beat up old blue Vespa he asked me to sell for him when he left Bermuda. I sold it and sent him the money.
Chuck

Rick -- Sorry to hear of the passing of Bobby V. I also have fond memories of our time in Arg and the many Johns runs. He will truly be missed by all that knew him. Frog

I had the pleasure of Serving with Bobby in Bermuda with John Vogt, Randy Scott, Terry Clower and a whole host of other really sharp systems folks. I was at the same pinning ceremony that Randy spoke about and am not ashamed to say that his tears of joy brought a tear to my eyes as well. Bobby embodied what every chief aspires to be, at true leader and inspiration to his subordinates. He always seemed to bring out the best in what any person had to offer. And boy, would he challenge you on anything he was passionate about.
I will keep him in my prayers.

I also remember John's Runs with Bobby and many good times with at the base. I was like to reconnect with him a few years ago. He will be missed.

bob and I had more than a drink or two together...I always enjoyed seeing him when our paths crossed and we were able to talk about "old times"...I haven't talked to him in some time but im sorry that he is gone...

Visits: