Ocean Night 1280x1024 1024X768 800X600
Mid-Watch   1280x1024 1024X768 800X600

IUSSCAA Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Hearing Aids

Guess I lucked out got 60% service connected for heart disease so use VA for most everything. Got hearing aids this past August, I somehow got a 10% on hearing for tinnitus.

That's interesting David. I think it goes back to what Nick said in an earlier post about Persistence sometimes paying off. Occasionally, one runs into a gung ho VA rep and they go an extra mile to get a percentage disability or find a way to declare eligibility for a program, etc.

The guy I have locally probably meets the minimum standards. His office hours are from 5 AM to 1200 PM. I asked him how much business he conducted during the early morning hours and he admitted that he seldom sees anyone during those hours but he uses the time to "catch up" and chat with his fellow reps in different time zones about new and/or evolving programs. When I saw him at 7AM, his eyes looked suspiciously as if he had been napping in the office.

I don't have the data points to really understand the VA reps actual workload and I'm sure that varies based on Geo location and again, the individual reps motivation.

All in all, I can't find much to complain about in terms of mine and Pat's medical coverage. As to Chuck's post about a deductible for the PSA test, I havn't had that happen as yet. Like most, I get the PSA on an annual basis and to date, I've havn't spent a penny out of pocket.

OK, enough rambling. This health coverage thing can eat up a conversation. I just can't imagine what its like for the non veterans!!!!

J

Have you tried talking to a service organization (VFW, American Legion, etc) they have people who liaison with VA.

David,

I havn't been involved with any of those orgs. To be honest, I'm really quite happy with the medical coverage we receive, even the hearing aid thing. In my case, my entire family from my 98 year old Mother (that can probably outrun me) to my 62 year old brother have hearing problems. I really couldn't look the VA in the eye and say the words, "Service Related". So, to find the state of the art hearing aid technology at 1/10th of the cost seemed like quite a benefit to me.

J

I called the VA hospital in West Palm Beach, FL and they do not offer the program John posted about. The site lists Military Hospitals that participate.
Check it out.
CEC

Visits: