IUSSCAA Wallpapers
Ocean Night 1280x1024 1024X768 800X600
Mid-Watch   1280x1024 1024X768 800X600

IUSSCAA Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Update on Jack Fessler

I just received word From Jack Fessler's wife that he seems to be giving up the fight and his condition seems to be getting worse instead of better. I have sent her a message to see if he is able to speak and if he has a phone in his room. I'll keep you posted as I receive any update. Until then, keep those good thoughts and prayers coming.

Re: Update on Jack Fessler...better to laugh than cry

I was wandering through NavFac Lewes base housing on sunny day in about 1975, when I came uponst my good pal, Jack Fessler, working on a car in his carport. He looked like he needed my help so I sauntered (vastly underused word) over.

Apparently, Jack's car wouldn't start and he was none too happy. He was dicking with the starter and just loving the fact that he had to keep getting under/out from under the car. Most of you will remember that Jack didn't exactly embrace the healthier aspects of living....at least in those days.

He finally pulled the starter completely out of the car and the two of us stood and stared dumbly at it for a minute before I confidently declared that we needed to "crack that hummer open and inspect the brushes".

Now...anybody who has actually done what I recommended can attest to the absolute fact that you have no shot at getting the brushes back in again. Apparently Jack had never tried it before because he noted that "it seemed like a good idea to him".

Things went downhill from there. Jack tried for 30 minutes...in vain...to get the brushes back in and the whole time I'm trying to not let him catch me laughing myself stupid. He finally made this kind of primal noise, threw the disassembled starter...at a high rate of speed...in a box and ordered me to get my car.

The drive to the parts store was quiet.

We were kids in our 20's back then. I prefer to remember that Jack.

Sending you good vibes, old pal. I soiled myself today thinking of you and that **** starter. Hope you get a kick out of that.

Very nice story Nick. I am going to forward to Jack's wife. Anyone else have a fond memory to share?

After Jack and I retired we were living in Pensacola FL. We both started attending George Stone vocational school on the VA tab. We were taking a course on residential and commercial carpentry. 90 percent of the class were retired military so the instructer pretty much let us do whatever we wanted. One day Jack and another retired dude decided to mill a nice black walnut log I mean a LOG on 20 inch table saw when the instructer walked in the poor guy almost had the big one. More smoke then a three alarm fire was filling the room. and the saw was making noises that I never heard before.Trying to keep the log steady was not doing well and the friction was throwing out smoke and screaming saw blades. Believe it or not they got that log milled. I send my best to Jack and hope he pulls through. Jack was a great carpender and taught me more about about wood working then any classroom. Still talk about the Blue eyed baby Elephant.
Bob M

Great story Bob. I will send along to Jack's wife. Hope all is well with you and Roberta.

What I remember of Jack Fessler is when I was stationed at Centerville Beach. I was planning on going on leave. I had an UZI which I had purchased from another military member at the facility. I had asked the person in charge of the armory at the Naval Facility if I could store it there to prevent it from getting stolen from my apartment in town. I was told to bring it in and it would be stored. I brought it thru security in a gun bag. Since it was close to quarters it was too late to store it in the armory so I was told to store it behind the Senior Chiefs desk. When quarters was over I returned to remove and put it into the armory. Now at his desk was Jack Fessler which I asked him if I could take my UZI to the Armory. Jack said "WHAT" which I told him my UZI which was behind his desk. He asked me to see it which he opened the case and took it and slung it over his shoulder and started to walk up and down the hall of the T-building. The operations officer took one look at that and got very upset. After that I was told to get it locked up.

I took my leave when I came back there was new rules concerning the bringing of a firearm into the facility armory.

Visits: