IUSSCAA Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Interesting Scorpion and Thresher Video

Amazing destruction

https://youtu.be/FSNlBqHTJcg

Re: Interesting Scorpion and Thresher Video

Pretty hard to orient yourself in these videos.

The image at 2:35 shows the telescoping of two after 589 hull sections. It's also shown later at least twice.

Between the 23rd and 25th minutes, you see images of the propeller and the attached shaft. They were torn loose from the thrust block when the after sections telescoped a distance of 50 feet at 300 mph and literally left the shaft and screw sitting there essentially stationary, held there by water resistance. They then fell from the collapse depth of 1530-feet to the bottom at 11,100 feet as a separate unit.

A scale model of the screw and attached shaft were dropped through 100 feet of a water tank in New London. The configuration sank shaft first with the blades rotating and producing an audible "hum."

Bottom line: these collections were very carefully edited not to disclose any images of concern, either from a nuclear
propulsion standpoint or human issues. I didn't see anything I could identify as THRESHER.

Remember that the destructive force for the THRESHER collapse was 22,500 lbs of TNT; for SCORPION, it was 13,200 lbs.

The bodies recovered from the K-129 wreck were in pretty good shape after 6 years at 16,400 feet because they were "protected" within wreckage in the bow section. Water temperatures at such depths is just about freezing. One of the TRIESTE pilots thought he saw a body but this was never confirmed. It may have been clothes once worn. If I remember
correctly, shoes were found associated with the TITANIC wreck, protected from "sea life" by tannic acid in the leather.

Thanks for posting, Rick.

Re: Interesting Scorpion and Thresher Video - corrected link

If you are having problems with the link, try this one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSNlBqHTJcg

Visits: