Mid-Watch   1280x1024 1024X768 800X600

IUSSCAA Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: IUSSCAA Website Re-Design

Hey Greg,

That is not a bad idea at all. I have some code that I have used with google maps before that we could use to pull something like that off.

Probably have to go through a process to get members permission for their email and location info to be put out there.

So, it goes on the list.

Thanks

Hi Russ:
I have experience designing, developing, maintaining & re-engineering websites for Government Agencies and E-Commerce for the past 16 Years. Unfortunately, I'm not available to assist with your current challenge of re-designing this website, however I want to share some of my mistakes and successes working with the many technologies available over the years. The following are some lessons learned when moving from a dated website and modernize to the present and looking to the future.

• Create a Plan and Completely Redesign the Database, Navigation and UI.
• Determine the Development Technology platform most cost effective & enables all requirements in the design attainable.
• Do Not Merge old Components with New Components, becomes a maintenance nightmare requiring hacks and continuous patches.
• Determine Cross-Browser & Mobile compatibility in the design phase.
• Address Security in the planning and design stage, to prevent Cross Site Scripting & SQL Injection.
• Address Performance & Optimization for the Web Pages during the design & development stages.
• Address Unit Testing during Development and User Acceptance Testing during the Pre-Release stage.

The company where I am presently employed successfully re-designed and converted our public website 3 years ago using HTML5, CSS3, JavaScript, and Bootstrap. The advantages this development technology includes the following:

• Built-In Video/Audio Playback and Streaming Support
• Cross Platform/Device Support Browser Cross-Compatibility with Responsive Design Capability
• CSS3 Based Animation
• Advance (UI) User Interface Components for enhanced User Experience
• Geo-Location Services Support
• Offline Caching & Support
• Mobile Optimization

All the Best,
George W. Willis
OTAC USN Retired

Hello George,

Thank you for you concise outline there. It is much appreciated and reflects pretty much my own experiences as well.

We are at the very beginning of this project. I am just starting in on the initial plan.

Since you have some experiences with this you might see me call on you for a volunteer moment or two.

Thanks in advance for volunteering ;p

Russ,

Could you to the site, showing where and when members served in the system (Such as mine served at NavFac Eleuthera Jun 169 to December 1970, then at Navfac Argentia Jan 1971 to Jul 1972. Then Naval Reserve Facility Parsons, KS from Sep 1972 to Dec 1975.

John Heizer
Russ,

Could you to the site, showing where and when members served in the system (Such as mine served at NavFac Eleuthera Jun 169 to December 1970, then at Navfac Argentia Jan 1971 to Jul 1972. Then Naval Reserve Facility Parsons, KS from Sep 1972 to Dec 1975.

Hey John,

We have some of that data but it will require a bit of effort to get all the gaps filled in. Right now we have whatever people offered up on their original applications or put into updates.

But good idea I think so it goes on the list.

Thanks

Visits: