IUSSCAA Wallpapers
Ocean Night 1280x1024 1024X768 800X600
Mid-Watch   1280x1024 1024X768 800X600

IUSSCAA Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: TSA Not accepting New Retired ID's as Valid for Boarding Domestic Flights (RANT!)

Flight is necessary transit mode for some and sad to think citizens (especially Vets) are not being served by this agency. Watching it implode on the nightly news no relief either. My wife and her boss were traveling to conference and get this: he forgot his wallet. Panic as the plane was boarding. TSA guy finally said just show me something that has your name on it. He pulled out his Boy Scout ID card from deep in the luggage and got on the flight. The inconsistent joys of small rural airport screening (ACV).

Re: TSA Not accepting New Retired ID's as Valid for Boarding Domestic Flights (RANT!)

Perhaps it was a misinterpretation by a TSA employee. I've always used my retired mil ID card for domestic air travel - sometimes gets me perks like pre-security check or seat upgrades. Today I am sitting at JFK in New York waiting to board a flight to Norfolk. After reading this note earlier, I used my blue Retired Navy ID and got the though security. I then asked the TSA rep if there was a change. He said no, he always accepts mil ID with photos - active, reserve or retired.

I think it really boils down to circumstances and just with whom you are dealing. I was trying to get into Canada recently for fishing, and they refused my retired ID. The gal at the window said that she wanted a "real" ID, like a DL or passport. An idiot, but "in charge" so in order to catch fish, I complied. As vets, we know that not all poor "orders" are evil or with ill intent; some are the result of ignorance, lack of experience or just poor judgment. As I age, I try not to let things like this ruin my day...

It falls into the same boat as companies not accepting a state Drivers license as a valid Vet id. Doesn't matter that the state has vetted you & said so on the DL, the companies want a VA Vet ID/Active Duty ID/Retired ID. I am talking about Home Depot & Loews, and then there is JoAnn's & the people there being clueless.
Gotta love civilians. . . . or do I?
A Happy King Kamehameha Day tomorrow.

Visits: