IUSSCAA Wallpapers
Ocean Night 1280x1024 1024X768 800X600
Mid-Watch   1280x1024 1024X768 800X600

IUSSCAA Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Remembering Tom (the Gator) Moore (1945-2012)

I really don't know how to react to the news of Tom's death. Certainly, I'm sad. On the other hand, I'm terribly mad and embarrassed that a really good friend has passed and I didn't know it.

Tom, J.T as we called him, was my first real friend in the Navy. We went to Sonar A School and subsequently "The Green DoorS" together in Key West back in the 60s. It came as no surprise to me that Tom developed into a world class acoustic analyst. The clues were there during our Green Door training. While most of us struggled through the lab portion of the training, Tom was identifying, classifying and (I smile when I write this) having colorful discussions with the instructors when they would disagree with his conclusions. He actually won a few of those discussions.

Tom's Dad was an accomplished Boatsman and owned a boat factory in Starke, FL. Mr Moore would send Tom an airline ticket to come home on long weekends but Tom would promptly refuse unless Mr Moore sent two tickets, one for him and one for me. Mr Moore relinquished on a couple of occasions and I got to visit the Moore Lake house on Strickland's Landing Lake just outside of Starke. They were trips to remember. As Scott alluded, Tom loved his T Bones and as we all know, he equally loved to have a Jack or two. As said previously, Tom;s Dad manufactured boats so we had our choice as to the type of boat in which we would cruise Strickland,s Landing. There are tons of stories that could be told but perhaps another time and place.

Tom and Judine(sp)visited Pat and I a number of times when we lived in VA Beach. Each visit would entail trying Tom's most recent concoction(s). Homemade beer, wine and yes, even whiskey were always the order of the day when he visited.

Tom was a one of a kind man. He did it his way and he really didn't care that much about public opinion. But, from experience, I can tell you that one could never find a more trusted friend. Although we both failed to keep in touch over the past decade, I,ll miss him dearly. It's really sad to know that we won't get to have that "Steak and Ale" again.

Rest in Peace Old Friend. You deserve it.

John and Pat

Re: Remembering Tom (the Gator) Moore (1945-2012)

John, I thought I remember John from Sonar "A" School myself If I recall, he was a big guy with a booming voice?? If I recall correctly??
I did not know he had passed away either until Bruce said something.
Chuck

Visits: