Ocean Night 1280x1024 1024X768 800X600
Mid-Watch   1280x1024 1024X768 800X600

IUSSCAA Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
NAVFAC Bermuda

Greetings from Bermuda,

After years of speculation about a Resort Hotel being built on Morgan's Point (former NOB/Naval Annex) the die is cast and progress on the project is ongoing. Morgan's Point is cleared of almost all the buildings and most of the vegetation. Looking down from a satellite via "Google Earth" one can zoom to see that the outdoor movie screen and the projection booth is still there. Moving over to Tudor Hill the NAVFAC building is still evident among the overgrowth of vegetation.

The corporate head for the Resort says that the Hotel will be built in time for the America's Cup race in 2017.

That's all from Beautiful Bermuda.

VR/ Denny

Re: NAVFAC Bermuda

Denny,

Hope you are enjoying balmy Bermuda. Can't say enough about how much Linda, myself and youngest daughter (Jodi - born there in 1974) loved our cruise and short stay there in 2013. So nice to hear that the resort hotel is finally in progress at one of the nicest sites in BDA. I'll have to check out google earth, as suggested. We love all of Bermuda (Somerset, Southampton, Flats, St. George, etc.) and hope to go back again. Next time we would fly and spend more time there. The only thing we were disappointed in was no more steel bands and lack of any of the great shows at the hotels. Not sure what happened to all that entertainment - seemed to be a big tourist draw both times we were stationed there. That being said, nothing like R & R in Bermuda.
Best regards to you and Kara

Irv and Linda

My wife and I have thought of going back to Bermuda, but like everything else, I'm sure the cost have tripled since we were there in 1985 on our honeymoon. My first Navfac duty station out of OT school in Key west in 1969 was to be Bermuda, but I traded for Navfac Coos Head in Oregon. Wondering if you could recommend less expensive place to stay on the island. In 1985, we stayed at Ariel Sands. Had no regrets what so ever going to Coos Head Oregon. Thanks.

If you don't mind an apartment in Somerset instead of a full service resort hotel try Watford Ferry Apartments. Easy access to bus stops and a ferry landing any where in Bermuda is reachable within an hour or less. We've stayed there five years in a row including our present stay. It's a bit dated but where else on Bermuda can you get a two bedroom apartment with full kitchen for $150.00 a night?? See the link attached.

Denny

Denny,

Right on, brother ! Our next trip to Bermuda will surely be a stay at the recommended Watford Ferry Apartments. I am not sure, but I think we lived in an apartment within walking distance of Watford Ferry on our first tour (66-69)and loved it.

Nick,

As for Coos Head - met and married my wife there, nearly 54 years ago. I was only there about 10 months when the Cuban Crisis began. Got orders to be in Adak for 6-month early commissioning due to concerns of Soviets pulling some sneaky business. Manned it 24/7 for over one month with 5 Sonarmen.

We usually go back every three years. Also a great place to live. If I had it to do over again, the best two NavFacs I would choose: BDA & Coos.

Best to all our OT/ST/SO friends out there !

Irv (Dee) and Linda DeMatties

Thanks Dennis and Irv...Googled the apartments and they look great. At age 68, it will be interesting to see if we are up to riding Mopeds around the island like we did 30 years ago. Nice to hear someone enjoyed Coos as much as I did and leaving with a grand prize. I've read most of the old post on this site, and am surprised at how few have mentioned NavFac Coos. One of the best kept secrets I guess. Thanks again.

When you make arrangements to come to Bermuda you'll want to have a taxi driver to pick you up at the airport. Give Arthur Wade the date, airline and flight you are coming in on at the following email address: "Arthur LM Wade" . Tell him Denny Conrad recommended him and he'll treat you like gold!

All the best,

Denny

Thanks for the info...when we landed at Bermuda back in 85, our cab driver gave us a free trip around the island since, we were early for our check in time. Very friendly people, more so than when I was stationed on Guam.

No worries, Nick. Besides the island we love the friendly people and that's why we keep coming back. The Country Squire has a fantastic view of Mangrove Bay especially in the early evening. If you travel to the Royal Naval Dockyard be sure to visit The Frog & Onion Pub. Mike the bartender is on most weekdays and is a friend of mine. He'll treat you right.

Visits: