IUSSCAA Wallpapers
Ocean Night 1280x1024 1024X768 800X600
Mid-Watch   1280x1024 1024X768 800X600

IUSSCAA Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Curiosities of Navy Terminology

While writing an article for THE SUBMARINE REVIEW, I ran across the following curiosities of Navy terminology:

Aboard vs. on board - These two terms mean nearly the same thing and in some uses are interchangeable. "Aboard" is the preferred usage. Use "on board" as two words, but hyphenate on board when used as an adjective. "Aboard" means on board, on, in or into a ship.

The crew is aboard the ship.
An on-board medical team uses the on-board computer.

BUT NOT: The Sailor is going on board the ship.

Also, a Sailor is stationed "on," "at," "is serving with" or "is assigned to" a ship. A Sailor does not serve "in" a ship.

A ship is "based at" or "homeported at" a specific place. A plane is "stationed at" or is "aboard" a ship; is "deployed with" or is "operating from" a ship. Squadrons are "stationed at" air stations. Air wings are "deployed with" ships.

Re: Curiosities of Navy Terminology

I think I unconsciously knew some of that at one time. But sadly, I'm not sure - it may just be wishful thinking on my part.

For those of you who enjoy delving into interesting maritime information, challenge your knowledge with one of the 50+ quizzes on naval trivia/history, etc. at: http://www.funtrivia.com.
It's free! You don't have to be a member. And you're likely at the age when you NEED to keep your mind nimble! Just log in as a guest, and type "navy trivia" in the quiz search box. Try a quiz or two. Or twenty! If you like what you see, you can join - again, it's FREE. I HIGHLY recommend the "Mr. Roberts" movie quiz.

Here's the teaser for one quiz titled "Salty Language: U.S. Navy Slang": "Over hundreds of years, sailors have developed a vocabulary almost unintelligible to landlubbers. In preparing this quiz I have used my experience as a sailor, and have frequently refered [sic] to a great website, www.navyslang.com"

And you're likely at the nimble where you need to age your mind!

Enjoy.

Visits: