Ocean Night 1280x1024 1024X768 800X600
Mid-Watch   1280x1024 1024X768 800X600

IUSSCAA Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Vietnam Veteran Lapel Pin

I remember when I got out of the Navy in 1975 after my 4 years that I didn't wear Navy ball caps, go to Veterans Day observances, or even mention that I had been in the Navy very often. As an OT I just didn't feel like I had been "in the Navy" - stationed on ships, fighting sea battles, or visiting far off places (although Adak was kind of far off). ;-) Neither did I stay in contact with people I had been stationed with. I suppose one reason was that what we did was still classified. I dreaded meeting a former Navy ET, communications person, or someone that actually knew what we did. Would I agree and talk about old times or continue to play dumb with the cover story?

Reflecting back on it now I realize that what we did back then really was important and did make a difference. Considering the state of computers and electronics back then, it is surprising that we could accomplish what we did! Our cell phones today have more computer capabilities than a computer that took up a whole room back then! A special thanks to Ed Smock and all the other "old timers" who made it possible for us to do what we did!

Loren,

Glad to hear you are still out there. I tend to share in your opinion on wearing of a Vietnam lapel pin. However, it is not a medal as such, so I guess it is up to each individual as to their perspective.

Regarding graduates of the Air Force basic training: yeah, the Navy does not have any such medal (yet), but I was surprised to learn (a few years ago while marching in a Memorial Day parade) I met a Navy Ensign wearing a Navy Achievement Medal. I asked him how in the world does a Navy Ensign earn such an award. His response: the award is given to all graduates of the Naval Academy !! I just shook my head in wonderment. My NAM was not quite that easy to come by.

Best to you...........Dee

Because it represents the Vietnam War, I probably would not purchase one it was even is a little strange ordering a Cold War medal for me. I guess it must be the words Vietnam, and War that gives me pause. Was SOSUS a part of the Cold war effort you bet, but inside I feel we were just defending our nation just as the SK that made sure we did not run out of Time Fax paper was defending our ability to see that contact. It is all relative I guess..
Chuck

I can maybe see wearing the Cold War Medal for what I did in the "system" from '71 on; but don't have enough energy to bother with ordering it. Besides, I don't know when (or if) I'd ever wear it.

As for the Vietnam Veteran Lapel Pin, I don't see where my efforts in the "system" had any direct (or indirect for matter) impact on the outcome of the Vietnam War.

I feel the entire medal's process has been seriously cheapened. Don't know when this started to happen but it may have been related to the first Iraq war. But hey, that's just my personal opinion - and everyone has one.

Rick

I have forgotten how many years I had on active duty before I got my first (and only NAM). I do remember I didn't get my my first NCM (of 2) until after I made LDO at some point after 13 years. When I see the number of NAMs and NCMs that I see some of the sailors wearing around at work these days is does make me wonder?

Rick

Visits: