Ocean Night 1280x1024 1024X768 800X600
Mid-Watch   1280x1024 1024X768 800X600

IUSSCAA Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Right on Target, Gail

Our experience here in Louisvile, KY, is that diligent searches can identify excellent doctors; however, you deal with “hospitalists” when you go to a hospital. They don't have the time to research a patient's history which can provide valuable information relative to the current problem.

So, if you don't have an aggresive and well-informed advocate who forces the hospitalists and nurses to listen to relevant patient history and continuously checks on the patient, the chances of that patient leaving the hospital in a body-bag increase.

Re: Medical Incompetence is Alive and Well

I can attest to the need to be on your medical records and doctors based on my experience. Twelve years ago we were getting set to move to Sequim, Wa from the Tacoma area. Just before the move I visited one of the supposed "best" doctors in the area. I had been having stomach pains and swelling of my stomach. The doctor told me that it was because I was moving to a new area and would be unemployed upon arriving. Well, one day I'm talking to the framers building my house when I became very ill. Bottom line was a gangrenous gall bladder that had been misdiagnosed. Four hours or surgery after 4 days of morphine only and I was much better. They said it could have eventually killed me if not treated.

The bottom line is that it's imperative that we as patients ask questions and take the time to find a good doctor. They are only human and not everyone graduates at the top of their class. Also, if you can, get a copy of your military medical record. It can save you a lot of time and grief later on. And, make sure it's certified as a true copy to avoid questions.

Visits: