Ocean Night 1280x1024 1024X768 800X600
Mid-Watch   1280x1024 1024X768 800X600

IUSSCAA Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Hurricanes and Typhoons

I don't remember what our winds got up to, but rain water was coming in from the seams of the walls and ceiling. We were walking around in the display room in about and inch or two of water, and the air conditioning was working overtime trying to keep up with the humidity. Temperature inside the building was in the low 70s. Our CO decided to stay at the TE building until the storm passed, darn, no stereo, trip to Mickey Ds for mid rats, and the watch officer didn't get his usual nap in. I guess Guam was the only station on the Pacific that would have gotten a Hurricane or typhoon, but figured there would be a lot of stories on the right coast.

Shipmate

Sorry to change topic but your email link didn't work. Did you know Dave Wilmont? He was in my OT class in Key West (see photos under Key West in photo library). He was 1st in our class so got first pick of duty stations and chose Guam. He would have arrived in Oct. 71 (blew in with the hurricane?). I was 2nd and thus picked Pt. Sur. You can email me back - hopefully my link will work.

Re: Shipmate

Looks like E mail is not going to work. Looked up photo under Key West, and did not recognize Dave. I was OT2 then and lived off base with two others in watch section in Barrigada. I have a friend who lives in Oregon who might remember him since we were both at Guam and Coos Head. He must have really enjoy scuba diving to make Guam his first choice. Like you, I would have picked Pt. Sur or Coos Head, but Guam was not as bad as Midway Island. By the way, did you know Mike Ferry? That name rings a bell from the Key West photos.

Both Mike Ferry and Tom Patterson were in the same OT class that I was and we often went snorkeling together. Being from Iowa I thought it was really neat, especially all the tropical marine fish! The day we were snorkeling off Boca Chica Key (photo) some guy walked past Dave's car and stole his billfold out of it, jumped in a car down the road, and took off. We gave chase and recovered the billfold but his money was gone.

Key West was not a friendly place to sailors. There was an unofficial "Dungaree Liberty" called while I was there after a couple of sailors were jumped on Duvall Street. Shortly after arriving on Key West, Hurricane Camille past 90 miles to the south of us. Plan was to put us in underground bunkers if the storm came closer. I guess you remember what happened to the streets when we just had a rain shower. Probably not a good plan.

Michael and Nick,

What problems are you having with the email links?

I looked at both of them and clicked both of them and they worked for me as expected. I am on my PC using Chrome as my browser.

Anyway, let me know and I will investigate.

My old desktop computer is still running under Windows XP and the email link failed using both Firefox and IE to look at messages. My laptop under Windows 10 seems to be able to deal with the link if I install Mail or Outlook. Guess it is just an XP thing that doesn't open the link anymore.

Hey again Michael,

An email link does not usually (to my knowledge) open in a browser. It instead opens the default mail program on the computer you are on so if you do not have a mail program (outlook, thunderbird, live mail, etc) installed then it will not open the link. However if you mouse over the link you should be able to see the email address down in your status bar so you can use it somewhere eles (webmail, etc.)

Hope that helps

Thanks for the help, will use that info next time.

Visits: