IUSSCAA Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Abandoned Alaska: Once a thriving naval base, now an Adak ghost town

John Ellis
Great video Rick.

All the credit for finding this video goes to John Hummel.

Rick

Great video. However, I found it kind of sad to see Adak in this condition. I have many warm memories of duty there and hope that the Aleuts can develop it to some degree. I did chuckle when the reporter mentioned it being so far out there. I guess she's never been to Shemya.

Scott Clausen
Great video. However, I found it kind of sad to see Adak in this condition. I have many warm memories of duty there and hope that the Aleuts can develop it to some degree. I did chuckle when the reporter mentioned it being so far out there. I guess she's never been to Shemya.

Understand your feelings completely. I feel the same way when I go to the Midway Island website. And in Midway's case, there is actually another island further out the Hawaiian Island chain that the the USCG maintained as a Loran C site (Kure Island). Apparently it was so desolate that they occasionally came to Midway Island for liberty

Rick

I saw tis on The OTs/OTAs and OTMs Facebook page as well. Very sad indeed. Quite a contrast with what was done with the NATO base at Keflavik, Iceland.

Visits: