Ocean Night 1280x1024 1024X768 800X600
Mid-Watch   1280x1024 1024X768 800X600

IUSSCAA Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: John Glenn's Passing

John Glenn's 1974 Response to Sen Howard Metzenbaum's Criticism During the Republican primary That Glenn Had Never Held a Job.

"I spent 23 years in the United States Marine Corps. I lived through two wars. I flew 149 missions. I was in the space program. It wasn't my checkbook, it was my life that was on the line.

"You go with me as I did out to a veterans' hospital and look those men with their mangled bodies in the eye and tell them that they didn't hold a job. You go with me to any Gold Star mother and you look her in the eye and you tell her that her son did not hold a job. You go to Arlington National Cemetery — where I have more friends than I'd like to remember — and you think about this nation, and you tell me that those people didn't have a job.

"I tell you, Howard Metzenbaum, you should be on your knees every day of your life thanking God that there were some men, some men, who held a job. And they required a dedication to purpose, a love of country, and a dedication to duty that was more important than life itself.

"And their self-sacrifice is what has made this nation possible.

"I have held a job, Howard."

Note: Glenn defeated a sitting Senator during that primary and won the general election.

Re: John Glenn's Passing

Re: John Glenn's 1974 Response to Sen Howard Metzenbaum's Criticism During the Republican primary That Glenn Had Never Held a Job.

Correction: That was a Democratic Primary.

Visits: