IUSSCAA Wallpapers
Ocean Night 1280x1024 1024X768 800X600
Mid-Watch   1280x1024 1024X768 800X600

IUSSCAA Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Why I watch Football on Television

Randy Scott's post a few days back regarding the Army/Navy game kindled a memory that answer's my wife Pat's question as to why I only want to watch football on television.

The year was 1982 and Navy had a so-so team that was led by a running back named Napolean McCallum. Given a decent offensive line, he could possible have been one of the top ten running backs in the nation. But, that's another story.

Navy was playing Syracuse on a wintry Saturday afternoon and my good friend Irv DeMatties had copped some tickets and invited Pat and I to go with he and Linda to "root for Navy". It was my first live football game (and my last). Because McCallum was all that Navy had that year, they ran the ball practically every play for gains of 2 yds, 3 yds and the occasional loss of yards. It was about as exciting as watching grass grow. As Navy was humdrumming along on the ground, Pat and I were sitting in the stand wet, cold and bored out of our minds primarily because we couldn't see anything. Pat kept asking "why does he keep running into the pile? Why doesn't he just run around the pile?" After an eternity of running plays, I began to think that Pat might know more than the Navy coach. Mercifully, the game came to an end (Navy lost) and we were able to get back in our car and get warm. But, it was too late for me. I wound up with the worst case of Bronchitis on record and was sick for two weeks which I blame entirely on Dee.

But Randy's post alluded to all the Cadets and Plebes that are shown at the Army Navy game having a great time? Don't believe it. Some of them would rather be with me watching on TV, Believe that.

Re: Why I watch Football on Television

Oh, John...... I am going to print this out and read it to my family at the dinner table tomorrow afternoon! This is me exactly. I take much ribbing from Kathy and the kids because I abhor live football games (especially when 4 hours of tailgating precedes the game!). We have season tickets to ODU football here in Norfolk - cold steel bleacher seats, no leg room, nasty weather, nose bleed seating, obnoxious fans.... With 5 or 6 home games, Jim complains about each and every one - often finding an excuse to miss about half and watching them from the comfort of his own warm, quiet family room within spitting distance of the fridge and latrine!

I smiled when I read your observations. - Jim

Jim:

Nose-bleed seats is an accurate call if this is the same stadium where I used to run 12-15 flights for conditioning when I was at COSL in 61-63 and still competing in sprint events.

Fifty-plus years later, I would be fortunate to survive walking one flight briskly.

Happy holidays,

Bruce

You candy-azzes ;) Merry Christmas to all!

john, I totally agree with you....once, not too many years ago, I had tickets to super bowl( it was actually when janna Jackson lost her top), airfare, hotel,the whole bag....penee and I spend hours in the stadium waiting for anyone in front of her 5 foot frame to sit down so she could see....the only thing, in the end that she saw, was the streaker (I was looking for Jackson)....went back to the hotel and watched the reruns, in the warm room, with a bar....;-)

Visits: