Ocean Night 1280x1024 1024X768 800X600
Mid-Watch   1280x1024 1024X768 800X600

IUSSCAA Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Passing of John Emory

I remember John as "BIG BIRD". A group of us used to go to a Chicken resturant out near Pennsylvania Avenue where you could get "ALL YOU CAN EAT". John had probable as much chicken for lunch that all the rest of us that attended.
RIP John, I will always remember you.

Sorry to hear about John Emory. Worked with him at NISC. Very much enjoyed his humor.

wow, granted, I don't spend a lot of time on this board but I have tried to be careful of checking on johns progress (or lack of) and see where he stands health-wise...but, i have to admit,this blows me away...I feel that ive always had the luck of having a lot of friends in the IUSS community through the years but, not to degrade any of those relationships, ive always felt that there there three or four through the years that were big time for me....chuck, john smokey and big bird.... big bird and I didn't even know each other in the Nav....he was already a civil servant when I rotated from kef to japan back to cosl and got involved in the IUSS ugrades (including TDP)...after getting out I was lucky enough to be awarded a fellowship from trw (johns employer at the time) to continue college but still work on the project(s)...john (and chuck) and I (and may others) spend years trying to work out, operationally, what TDP (and other subsystems) could do for the fleet....we would work in the lab out at san diego for months/years (and chuck and I were working eves/mids at cosl around the same time)! building releases of tdp and other subsystems and deliver them to the fleet...I can remember more than one time it wasn't always successful (big bird would call and ask me how to hell to reboot out of the latest tdp release cause the **** thing wasn't running) and/or w would show up at places like the "rose Parade" which was soooo much fun (a whole different story)....one winter john and I spend the entire winter at **** neck loading and working on tdp field upgrades while the snow was flying up and down atlantic blvd...(we also rented that horse ranch then, on per diem, then again, that was a different story)john was bigger than life and added a colorful addition to work that, at times, was a bit bland...for all the months that you might have to spend nights on mids in some place that maybe was not quite a vacation spot the idea of being able to attend an upgrade and or conference with people like john and other "a teamers" really engaged and brought along the younger people that we needed in the rate.....john, im not going to say anything like "bless you" because we never did that crap....Ill say lets have some sushi, a Kirin ichban, some sake and please don't stick the head of that prawn out your mouth when your chewing on it cause the antlers jerk around tooooo **** much!! fare winds and following seas buddy, I know you didn't want to end up dragging it out....im sorry it lasted as long as it did....and im sorry I didn't know til now...

Jack,

Thanks for your post regarding the passing of our friend "Big Bird" Emory.
I spoke with Edie a couple of times in the past few days and she told me that a small family service was held for John near them in Conroe TX. They plan to have another service (perhaps in late June or July) in Owls Head, NY - which is where the Emory family has (had?) a camp on the lake and where John spent much of his childhood as well as a few of his adult years. I believe John's ashes will be scattered over the lake and, to the best of my knowledge, Edie, John's children (John and Cindy) as well as John's brother will attend. Edie said she will let me know, in advance, of the timing and exact location. In the meantime, I expect to get John's obituary which I will then post on this website. I did mention to Edie that you had posted on the website - and I sent her an email with the link to the IUSS website so that she is able to read and/or respond to such postings.
Irv (Dee) DeMatties

P.S. For some reason, your name rings a bell with me, but not sure if/when/where our paths may have crossed. My NavFacs were: Pac Beach, SNI, Coos Head, Centerville, Adak (twice), Bermuda (twice), Lewes and COSP/NOPF Ford Island.
If you want/need any further info - or just wish to correspond, feel free to email me.

hi dd, yes, I remember you..it was probably when I was working TDP and was at cosp, that happened a lot after I left active duty and was working with TRW ( no longer exists)...its funny, how some people have such an impact of a LARGE number of members of such a small community....john used to call in for problems with TDP, ask for patches, etc...and I always made sure it was in a scheduled release...so many stories....I think its here on the site but my email is jcspencer14@centurylink.net if you want it...
jack

Visits: