IUSSCAA Posting Guidelines

IUSSCAA Wallpapers
Ocean Night 1280x1024 1024X768 800X600
Mid-Watch   1280x1024 1024X768 800X600

IUSSCAA Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Norway is set to be the first country in the world to phase out FM radio (I always listened to BBC)

FM stations will begin to go silent in parts of Norway next week and the shutdown process will be complete by the end of 2017, according to the government.

The Nordic country is switching from FM to digital radio -- called DAB -- because the digital option offers more channels, better audio quality and savings for broadcasters.

"The main reason that Norway is the first is because of the Norwegian landscape, which has deep fjords, high mountains and scattered communities," the government said in a statement. "This makes it particularly expensive to operate the Norwegian FM networks compared with other countries."

The government estimates that radio stations will save more than 200 million kroner ($23.5 million) a year by ditching FM, allowing them to invest further in radio content.

It doesn't expect any jobs will be directly affected by the shutdown as stations will switch to broadcasting via DAB.

There is an exception carved out of the regulations that will allow some very small local stations to continue broadcasting on FM frequencies. Norway does not have any AM stations.

FM stations will begin to go silent in parts of the country next week and the shutdown process will be complete by the end of 2017, according to the government.

The Nordic country is switching from FM to digital radio -- called DAB -- because the digital option offers more channels, better audio quality and savings for broadcasters.

"The main reason that Norway is the first is because of the Norwegian landscape, which has deep fjords, high mountains and scattered communities," the government said in a statement. "This makes it particularly expensive to operate the Norwegian FM networks compared with other countries."

The government estimates that radio stations will save more than 200 million kroner ($23.5 million) a year by ditching FM, allowing them to invest further in radio content.

It doesn't expect any jobs will be directly affected by the shutdown as stations will switch to broadcasting via DAB.

There is an exception carved out of the regulations that will allow some very small local stations to continue broadcasting on FM frequencies. Norway does not have any AM stations.

Re: Norway is set to be the first country in the world to phase out FM radio

Half way through I got to thinking: I just read that somewhere. Oops.

Re: Norway is set to be the first country in the world to phase out FM radio (I always listened to B

Yes, Norway has stopped almost all FM broadcast. The DAB has a limited range and there are places where you cannot receive DAB because of the mountain passes and fjords. This has cause some concerns for the remote areas of Norway. If oyu are luck, you can still get FM, otherwise it is radio silence in some areas as you drive.

Visits: