Ocean Night 1280x1024 1024X768 800X600
Mid-Watch   1280x1024 1024X768 800X600

IUSSCAA Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Death of Bob Bridges, former CO NAVFAC CENTERVILLE BEACH

Farewell to a Shipmate —

I first met Bob Bridges alongside SPERRY Pier in San Diego, 1976. I was in GUDGEON tied outboard of Bob’s boat SALMON and we were both duty officers that evening. Up checking the lines around sunset, I found Bob doing the same. We said hello, found things in common, and talked topside for a half hour. My impression: this is a really good officer.

Time later I was Bob’s detailer and watched him move up in the submarine force, XO in the submarine BARBEL. Later still, me as head of the Training Branch in Trident Program Headquarters, opportunity came to get Bob into my shop. Exciting time, building the Trident Training Center in Kings Bay for the new Trident II system (US and UK), buying months of new curricula, and still running both Trident I and Poseidon training for the fleet. Lieutenant Commander Bob Bridges was outstanding in the job, my right arm, and we came to know each other closely as fellow professionals.

Later still (1991 or so), me at Cape Canaveral as the skipper at Naval Ordnance Test Unit and Bob as Commanding Officer at US Naval Facility Centerville Beach California, he called me. Turns out my shipmate Howard Hively from my days in TROUT was relieving Bob at the NAVFAC. Their Commodore (Commander Oceanographic Systems Pacific) officiating at the change of command was to be Fred Crawford, classmate of mine in Submarine Prospective Commanding Officer School in 1979. And I was a plankowner at Centerville, one of a small cadre of enlisted guys trained to operate the equipment at the then (1957) brand new station. Small world.

Bob asked, would I come out and speak at change of command? Yes. Nostalgic trip, town hadn't changed much, good to see old friends. SOSUS had just been declassified by OPNAV, so, with Fred's OK and Bob's agreement, I was able to say to the crowd at the ceremony for the first time ... the NAVFAC existed to find and track Soviet submarines. I was astonished that the townspeople were surprised. I figured there'd been enough nights at the Ivanhoe and intermarriage with townies that everyone had the word. Apparently not.

Bob's last Navy assignment was as Executive Officer of the NROTC Unit at Thomas Jefferson’s school, the University of Virginia, a most prestigious posting.

By chance Bob and I both retired on Florida's Space Coast. He was very active in the submarine community, working hard to make the Navy League a success and serving the Naval Submarine League as its Secretary for years. About a year ago after one function Bob’s wonderful wife, Marie, came alongside me and said ‘Bob’s not doing well.’ With great sadness I watched my old friend fade, but always with fight and good cheer. We were at lunch together just a month before he died, a Naval Submarine League board meeting. Bob looked good and was his old self.

With great sadness I learned of his passing on May 8th, 2016. Friend, shipmate, a fine submariner and splendid naval officer, he put his whole heart into everything he did, family, profession, and friendships. Sailor, rest your oar.

John Byron

Re: Death of Bob Bridges, former CO NAVFAC CENTERVILLE BEACH

CVB CO buried at sea.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zm120er5iqhydja/Cdr%20Bob%20Bridges%20burial%20at%20sea.png?dl=0

Visits: