Ocean Night 1280x1024 1024X768 800X600
Mid-Watch   1280x1024 1024X768 800X600

IUSSCAA Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Navy Day - new one . . .

Well said Dee and absolutely correct. And Thom, I've always been told its the thought that counts and your thought was a good one.

Re: Navy Day - Navy Ball . . .

I was stationed at NavFac Coos Head 1970, just curious as to know where in Coos Bay they held the Navy Ball back then.... The Tioga Hotel?

Nick,

It was a very nice motel and restaurant complex called the "Courtel". It was the nicest place in Coos. It is now the Red Lion Inn (probably still the best in town) on the north end of town,before entering the south side of North Bend.
It was owned by a Scottsman (can't recall his name) who owned that, the Egyptian Theater in downtown Coos Bay and the drive-in theater out in Empire.

At the time, I was a 2nd class (watch sup)on my last tour of a 4-year hitch. I also worked, part time at that motel as a night auditor and at the Egyptian, making/selling popcorn, sodas and candy. The "town cop" (O'Riley) came in every night to make sure there was no trouble or "hanky panky" going on - and got his free box of popcorn - to go. Ahhhhhhhh...........those were the Happy Days !

Irv,

Thanks for the reply. I do remember the Red Lion Inn, not sure if that's what it was called in 1970, but I do remember it was just before the highway divided into one way streets. I mentioned the Tioga Hotel, because that was the hot spot for adult beverage consumption. There was a bar on the mezzanine floor called the "Pirates Den". We frequented the Egyptian Theater a few times, but remembered that you had to put your feet up on the seat in front of you because of the rats in search of popcorn. Coos was my first Navfac and by far my favorite. Yes sir, happy days. Someday, hope to revisit.
Good to here from someone that had been there.

Visits: