Ocean Night 1280x1024 1024X768 800X600
Mid-Watch   1280x1024 1024X768 800X600

IUSSCAA Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Phil Shanley

Phil Shanley was one of those guys you never forget. He was thoroughly professional, had a great sense of humor and was just a very decent human being. I have known him since the early 70's and we were last stationed together at COSL in the mid 80's, during a time period of unprecedented activity. His efforts in those events were virtually heroic. We also got to make a CINCUSNAVEUR trip together, which was both rewarding and extremely memorable. Phil loved his family and spoke of them constantly.
For Phil's family, Chris and I, as well as his large Navy family, send our deepest sympathies and condolences. We hope you find some comfort in knowing he was a much revered man.

I just got an email from Mike Moseler telling me that Phil had passed away so I logged on to the IUSSCAA Message Board to find out more about his passing. I first met Phil in 1975 while I was an instructor at the Ocean Systems Division of FLEASWTRACENLANT, Key West, FL. I have nothing to add that hasn’t been posted before by Rick Matthews and Randy Scott. Phil was indeed a true professional, a close friend and an all-around nice guy. I shall miss him.

To Megan and family please accept Kara and my sincere condolences for your loss.

V/R Denny

Phil was dealt an odd lot in life yet in all of our encounters, he was the same affable Phil. We hate to hear of his passing yet we want to believe he's beyond the pain and suffering.

Pat and I wish to extended our sincere sympathy to the Shanley Family on their loss.

John and Pat

It is regrettable that such sad news is a catalyst to taking a "look-back", but then again - all I am thinking about with Phil's passing are fond - really fond memories - of his humor, his laugh, his giving - and being part of an Analysis/FTA crew from 79-82. Phil, like the rest of the crew back in FTA - Stan, Jack King, Tom Dunaway - taught me so much - Phil gave me the confidence back then to challenge myself upon my PCS from COSL and get my ass to Kef, which I did. Phil was in my wedding party on New Year's Day, 1983 to my bride, Carrie. I left for Kef and while awaiting housing, Phil was always there for Carrie…providing friendship, advice, support and encouragement, let alone stuff like household goods crap and all that. So, while yes, it with deep regret and sadness to hear of Phil's passing, I thank him for causing me to stop the everyday BS, and take pause. Peace and rest easy, Phil.

I along with so many others had the great pleasure to have known and worked with Phil. Truly a person who had a super personality and was sought out by many. His family was so important to him and he always took great pride in their accomplishments. To Phil's family, you are in my thoughts and prayers and Phil will forever remain as someone I remember as one of the true great people of our system. RIP Phil and fair winds and following seas.

For Phil's family:
The preceding comments (and more to follow I'm sure) reflects on the admiration and respect that all of us within the SOSUS/IUSS community have for Phil. May your memories of happier days help ease your pain. Our hearts are saddened by his loss. Ed Smock

Phil was always a gentleman to me...when there wasn't anything to be gained. He was just that way. I've never forgotten that and I'll never forget him.

Peace, Phil.

Nick

Phil's obituary was published in the Virginian-Pilot yesterday, 24 Feb:

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/pilotonline/obituary.aspx?page=lifestory&pid=184235003

Visits: