Ocean Night 1280x1024 1024X768 800X600
Mid-Watch   1280x1024 1024X768 800X600

IUSSCAA Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Sixty-three (63) Years Ago Today - 22 Mar 1954

Amen Smokie. So glad to see you doing well. You were and always have been an inspiration to me. Take care shipmate. Thank you for your service.

Ed, that's a long time and your endurance is really amazing. George Widenor was a sea-daddy to many and I once asked him who his sea-daddy was. His answer was quick: Ed Smock. That says it all :)
I retired from the Navy 26 years ago today, almost forgot until I read your post. Thanks for your incomparable service to our country!

Randy

Smokie,
You always have been and continue to be the consummate professional that we all strive to emulate. During my brief (by your yardstick)26 year career in the Navy, I got to work with you at COSL when I was with the SURTASS EDM program. You were always there to help steer that group of 'ne'er do wells' in the right direction when we were trying to get a program in its infancy off the ground. Quite literally off the ground as some of the cable had been run cross the deck from one side of the hall to the display room so we could get things running. The group was mostly made up of maintainers trying to do analysis and getting it wrong a lot of the time. Through your able guidance, we succeeded in getting the program up and running to IOC. Although you may not have a plankower's certificate for the SURATSS program, I, for one, will always consider you as one.

All my best in your continued success and keep on doing what you do so well.

Very Respectfully,
Bob Ainsworth

Master Chief thanks for being my mentor 55 years ago. Maybe it was your Harry Clock training? EKD

Master Chief thanks for being my mentor 55 years ago. Maybe it was your Harry Clock training? EKD

OK ED, LET"S SET THE RECORD STRAIGHT. You always say that you were blessed ""more". But all of us have been blessed with something that you were not, and therefore we all have a big head start on you. And of course, our "extra blessing" is YOU. And, that extra blessing is impossible to quantify. So........we all love you Ed, as you have given so much. To the Navy, the System, and of course your valuable time and lessons. The following is included in "Our Book" which you were personally responsible for compiling. I think that these words are worth repeating.....

A “Thank You” note to Ed Smock.
Ed......I hardly know where to start. We have shared so much over the years. And you have taught me so many important things. I was a junior CPO when I met you. I became a better Chief because of you. I gave you some questionable advise about public parking and walking, but you gave me so much more. Have I mentioned that you have given our nation your life-long commitment? And you continue to do so! Impressive!
You taught me the importance of converting an under-used garage in the rear of a terminal building into a spaghetti kitchen (NAVFAC Bermuda 1971). That seemingly innocuous activity brought the command CPO’s together at a time when it was very much needed. You taught me that while it is important to work hard, it was also OK to “knock off” following a full days effort. I still remember the day LT Cox (Research Officer – Bermuda 1971-72) told you that you couldn’t leave until he did. You calmly suggested to him (with appropriate respect) that he best locate his hat.
You have always carried yourself with poise and confidence. You know how to be right, and how to instill those qualities in others. I can go on and on with many examples of your leadership, as many others could do as well.
“Our Book” has been a major accomplishment. It is a testimony to your life-long dedication to our country and to undersea surveillance. Each time I review the progress of the book, I am amazed at what it has become. And Ed – let there be no doubt, “our book” is among your most impressive accomplishments. Today as I reviewed the newest update, I was again overwhelmed by it’s composition. By encouraging past shipmates to contribute, you have compiled many facets of the undersea surveillance story - technology, history, almost unbelievable system achievements and personal stories about those who “stood the mid”.
When I reflect on my navy career, you are among my fondest memories. Red checkered table cloths, “ching-ching” announcing your arrival through the oleanders, and the ever so subtle lessons you taught so well.
Thanks Ed, for the book, for your 50+ years of dedication to undersea surveillance, and for being you.
George (Widenor OTCM USN (Ret)) (6 Sep 07)

Those words were written nearly 10 years ago, and you still carry on. Like I said, we love you Smokie, and you have always been universally respected throughout our community.
George

Smokie,
You are truly amazing. You are the Energizer Bunny of the system. I am one of you huge admirers and count myself lucky to have known you. You are what we strive to be "The consummate professional". Thanks for your service and most of all thanks for you many contributions.

Sandy

OMG....Just did the maths, and necy year, it'll be 50 years since I first signed up! (****, I'm old!)

63 years of making everyone around you better. Its a rare gift.
Congratulations Brother Ed and here's hoping for no "close out" reports in the foreseeable future.

BJ

well said smokey, it was a pleasure to have you stay in my home, cook deer meat and make me clean the kitchen...!

Visits: