IUSSCAA Wallpapers
Ocean Night 1280x1024 1024X768 800X600
Mid-Watch   1280x1024 1024X768 800X600

IUSSCAA Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
A Question for Peter Johnson

This is a question I should have asked initially, the answer to which others on this site may have an interest.

The SCORPION data already has been analyzed to frequency resolutions of 0.01 Hz and time resolutions to the tenth of a second using processing and display systems not generally available in the public domain.

The signals themselves require an extensive background in analysis to exploit and knowledge of signals produced by non-submarine contacts which are present in the background: transiting merchant ships.

Question: What do you hope to accomplish if you gain access to the SCORPION data?

You may have a valid interest and you may be able to contribute; however, I have been down several roads too far and have spent too much time refuting bogus theories, most recently someone who tried to "end-run" me by going to another individual to get the original data for figures shown in WHY THE USS SCORPION (SSN-589) WAS LOST.

I suggest you read that book and see if it addresses your interests/concerns.

Re: A Question for Peter Johnson

My interest is only that I am curious. I HAVE extensive experience with both SOSUS and Marine geophysical data. I do not want special access just wondered if the time series could be viewed. I have no axe to grind. I have admired your work for a long, long time. Thank you for your service.

Can the surface and bottom reflection be recognized in the series?

Reflections are not present nor would they be expected at ranges greater than about 5-10 times the water depth, (11,100 ft), especially from the bottom which was ooze: lots of absorption, poor reflecting surface. Range from the wreck-site to hydrophone A was 821 nm, 4.7 nm further to hydrophone D.

My question was the main battery explosion and what was observed at distance from the surface reflection which has a higher RC.

Visits: