IUSSCAA Posting Guidelines

IUSSCAA Wallpapers
Ocean Night 1280x1024 1024X768 800X600
Mid-Watch   1280x1024 1024X768 800X600

IUSSCAA Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Has Anyone Read TRANSPARENT OCEANS, THE DEFEAT OF THE SOVIET SUBMARINE FORCE?

If so, what is your opinion of this 2003 book?

Here's a quote from a two-star Amazon.com review:

"Unless you have a deep abiding love for highly technical descriptions of SOSUS-based passive acoustic detection capabilities related to antisubmarine warfare, I would stay away from this book. While it is well written, it is very dry and without experience in the field, one may feel overwhelmed.

Fortunately, I served as an acoustic aircrewman in P-3 Orions and ASWOCs for 26 years and was privy to considerable SOSUS generated intel regarding Soviet submarine detections and locations. I had a good understanding of what SOSUS is and how it works and I was still left trying to get my mind around many of the technical descriptions."

Re: Has Anyone Read TRANSPARENT OCEANS, THE DEFEAT OF THE SOVIET SUBMARINE FORCE?

Well.....I was curious enough to spend the $2.99 to download the Kindle version. After spending about 20 minutes leafing through, I can understand that reviewer's comment. But this appears to be a fairly well-informed writing. A little disconcerting that Capt. Kelly is spelled "Kelley", but there is a lot of very detailed operational information, and a lot of specific references. This does not appear to be a book that many would read cover to cover, but I found myself stopping at random pages and becoming absorbed in the text for several pages before moving on. I will get back into it as I find time, and for less than the cost of a Starbucks, what the hell...............

Visits: