Ocean Night 1280x1024 1024X768 800X600
Mid-Watch   1280x1024 1024X768 800X600

IUSSCAA Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Ben's )BIT

The site historian, Jack Holdzkom, compiles any memorial information.

The Memorial page is updated at the beginning of each month with any information reported during the prior month.

Ben's information should be updated to the Memorial page next week.

Hope that helps.

Re: Ben's )BIT

Thanks much.
Chuck

Re: Passing of Ben Raugh

Chuck (and Russ),

ZUI the IN MEMORIAM page. Ben's name was added at the last update, on 8 June.

Jack

Re: Passing of Ben Raugh

Sorry about that Jack. I made an assumption without checking the Memorial page first.

I hate when I do that. :(

Re: Passing of another shipmate.

I remember him very well, was stationed with Ben at Barbados 1975 to 1977 and Argentia 1986 to 1988.

While at Barbados, I remember him as an avid Diver who would dive at 160 + feet retrieving Black Coral from the sea floor. A tragic incident occurred during one Diving Trip where our WECO Engineer and a SPEAR Rep lost their lives. Ben was on the boat as the lookout and the WECO Engineer and SPEAR Rep were diving at approximately 170 feet for Black Coral. The WECO Engineer panicked then made an emergency ascent by inflating his buoyancy vest. This caused arterial gas embolism and the person was deceased almost immediately.
The SPEAR Rep never returned to the surface and his body was never found. He had a wife and a infant child and only been onboard Barbados approximately a month.

About a month after this incident, during one of my visits to Ben and his family's house, this terrible tragedy came up in a conversation. Ben said that he believed that the WECO Rep (20+ years diving experience) saw the SPEAR Rep getting attacked by a shark and was startled and did everything he could to escape.

Barbados was my first Navy tour and the first time in my life of living out of the US. After experiencing quiet a bit of cultural shock, Ben and V.G. Smith would often have command party's at their house where everyone would have the most amazing time and feel very welcome. I have many great memories of Barbados because of Ben.

My deepest sympathies and condolences to his family.

George W. Willis

I did not know Ben, but as John Ellis said, it is always sad to hear of the passing of another member of the system or a family member. My sincere condolences to Ben's family.

George Willis' post mentioned the tragic death ofa WECO and SPEAR engineer in Barbados (diving accident). I can not recall the name of the WECO engineer, but he was at one of the NavFacs with me for well over two years. It may have been during my first tour in Bermuda (1966-69). Time has a way of erasing some many good memories and names of former shipmates/friends.

WECO rep was Gene Dondlinger

Thanks Ed,

Gene was a great guy and could troubleshoot just about anything and FIX IT !
- should have remembered his name, but time has a way of diminishing what, once, was a pretty sharp mind.

DEE

The WECO Rep may have been Gene Donlinger

Saddened to hear of Bens passing. Knew Ben from Pt. Sur. As aforementioned by many, he was quite a character. Many fond memories. Loss of a great shipmate.

I'm not sure if this is the same Ben Raugh I met while at C school in Ferndale CA in the early eighties.
If so, he was warm, sweet and so much fun to be around - a person who loved life.
I miss him to this day and think of him often.
I'm so very sorry for his family.

Visits: