New Director Turnover Process and Duties and Responsibilities
A follow up to my 29 June posting regarding the nomination process for my relief as Director, IUSS CAESAR Alumni Association.
I hope to have a relief identified NLT 15 September 2017 in order to work through publication of the annual Cable Newsletter (Oct - Nov) as a turnover period. We would effect a turnover date of 31 December 2017. In the meantime, here's a list of most of my duties and responsibilities as Director:
- Make IUSSCAA decisions in consultation with the Board of Directors. The board currently consists of an assistant Director (Nick McConnell); Webmaster (Russ Lownie); and Data Base Manager and Membership (Mike Kilpatrick).
TIME: < 1 hour/week
- Communicate in person or through official channels with senior Navy officials such as CUS Commodore, SUBLANT/PAC staffs etc. and outside agencies such as Naval Historical Foundation, Navy Times, etc.
TIME: Office calls 2 to 4 times a year
- Manage Association finances (Bank Account) as IUSSCAA Treasurer. Money typically used for Website maintenance; Microsoft subscriptions; occasional trinkets and mementos; memorials; and some reunion costs.
TIME: Maybe once or twice a month
- Coordinate and direct process for drafting and publishing annual Cable Newsletter. Probably the largest task – starts in late September and is wrapped up before Thanksgiving. Note: We have three additional assistants (Jack Holdzkom, Ellis Sutter and Dick Rentner) who help with editing and building the actual newsletters.
TIME: 1 – 2 hours a week from mid-October to mid-November
- Co-monitor with our Webmaster IUSSCAA Website Message Boards daily and be final arbiter regarding appropriate postings and comments. We mostly look for potentially classified information; political commentary; derogatory comments regarding members or others; and anything not with in keeping with our Association guidelines.
TIME: Maybe 15 minutes each morning. Occasionally longer in resolution.
- Coordinate IUSS anniversary reunions every 5 years.
TIME: A 1-year process with monthly meetings lasting 1-3 hours. Next reunion, the 65th will be held the weekend of 21 – 22 September 2019.
NOTE: The IUSS reunions are not necessarily a part of the Director’s position. I just took it with me when I became Director as I was already coordinating the reunions. A separate individual could take that on.
Let me know if you're interested in the position of Director.