IUSSCAA Message Board

IUSSCAA Posting Guidelines
IUSSCAA Photo Library

IUSSCAA Wallpapers
Ocean Night 1280x1024 1024X768 800X600
Mid-Watch   1280x1024 1024X768 800X600

IUSSCAA Message Board
Start a New Topic 
9-11-2001 Memories.

I believe we've done this in the past and I know so many remember every detail of where they were and what they were doing 16 years ago today. I saw something similar on the IUSS Facebook page this morning.

I'll go first.

My memory of September 11, 2001

I was on temporary assignment (5 days) to Washington D.C. on September 11th, 2001. My 0900 meeting at the Pentagon Communications Center had been delayed 4 hours due to a scheduling conflict. Instead, I spent the morning in briefings at COMNAVTELCOM on Nebraska Ave northern D.C.. When the attacks occurred we were dismissed. It took me 3 hours to drive through D.C. (about 7 miles) to my hotel in Alexandria, VA. I drove right past the Pentagon as it burned. But by the grace of God I could have been inside. Six of the individuals I was scheduled to meet with that morning perished. The Communications Center was directly where the plane hit.

CDR Young Kim and I were supposed to meet in a cafeteria in the Pentagon for breakfast and then head to the Comms Center for a 0900 briefing and tour. My meeting a day earlier on Monday afternoon at COMNAVTELCOM ran late and they asked me to come back in the morning to finish. So, Young and I rescheduled Tuesday's meeting to lunchtime. The six who died in the comm center worked for Young. She attended all of the funerals. Back in Virginia Beach, my wife Kathy (then CO, NOPF Dam Neck) had my itinerary for that day and my cell phone was not working - I think all cell phones were out in D.C. for awhile. It was several hours before I got through to let her know I was OK.

On my way out of the building I stopped with a group of people around a television in a break room. We watched the smoking Trade Center and witnessed the second plane hit. I had a sickening feeling in my stomach and heart. My resolve to continue to serve was strengthened at that moment. I will never forget!

Re: 9-11-2001 Memories.

I remember it all too well. I was working for National Airlines, based out of Las Vegas as the airport deployment engineer. Basically, I was the guy in charge of setting up the ticketing and baggage areas for all the airports that National Airlines flew to. I was getting ready to fly to New York for the reopening of our facilities at the remodeled International Terminal at JFK when we got the news of the first plane colliding with the WTC. Our Flight Security Officer (a former Air Marshall) was in the flight training room and got the big screen up on the live feed from NYC. We all watched the second plane collide with the second tower and then watched as both towers collapsed. What a sickening feeling. There was not a dry eye in the room and those of us that were former or retired military were wondering if we could get back on active duty. Some of the comments made on that day are not politically correct so I will forego repeating them. Within six months of the first grounding of all aircraft, National Airlines declared bankruptcy and closed it doors. Interestingly enough, the only airline to successfully get any money from the Airline Stabilization Board (chaired by Senator John McCain) was America West, headquartered in Phoenix AZ. Imagine that. I worked for the court appointed receiver for a couple of months after that and got to turn the lights out in several of the National Airlines facilities. Very depressing! Found out that Unemployment insurance stinks and paying for COBRA is not an option on $256.00 a week.

Re: 9-11-2001 Memories.

On that day I was with a team of people in the Everglades doing water sampling in the canals west of Homestead and Florida City. The people in one of the trucks were listening to the radio as we drove from one sampling station to the next and heard what was happening. At first we weren't sure it was true (another Orson Wells "End of the World" story?) but eventually realized it was. Then the question was do we keep on sampling (was there really a need to?) or pack up and head back to Gainesville? After confirming the client (US Army Corps of Engineers) was not cancelling the project we decided to stay and finishing doing our work. Besides, we figured we were a lot safer on the back roads of the Everglades with no one else around than driving back on the Florida Turnpike!

Re: 9-11-2001 Memories.

We, Linda and I were living and working at AUTEC on Andros Island, Bahamas. My schedule that day was general Safety and Environmental base roaming. I stopped in the Contractor Administration Building to buy some cold water and saw some people gathered around a small TV the first plane had hit the first tower. I immediately went to my office to see if I had any messages from NUWC. I checked my email and saw where all Government Employees were dismissed UFN. I went back to my quarters and found the TV on and Linda setting on the couch looking very scared. We held on to each other and watched the rest of the attack unfold.