Ocean Night 1280x1024 1024X768 800X600
Mid-Watch   1280x1024 1024X768 800X600

IUSSCAA Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: The Final Tour of Duty

I was at Hatteras in 1970, don't remember any such person.

Thanks for the reply...I'll have to reread his bio in the book cover and make sure I read that correctly. Just wondering what time frame you went through Key West. I was there Oct./Nov. "69.

If my memory is correct, I believe I got to Key West in April of 1970. Checked in at Hatteras in the summer of 1970, still remember the sign on road to Navfac "this is not the way to the lighthouse".

Ok, you were a little later than I was behind the "Green Door". I've been trying to come up with some of the names that I was in class with at Key West. I did visit Cape Hatteras just after they moved the light house and was able to at least see the Navfac. Thanks for the reply.

If you go to Google Earth and find Buxton you will find there is not a hint of the NAVFAC left. Nothing but sand. Last I looked I think the ball field was still there and maybe a hint of the road around the base. Nothing else. It was a great tour of duty though. Good memories.

Yeah I know the feeling. I was at NavFac Coos Head in Oregon in 1970 and it was a great place to be stationed. I don't see many on this site that had the same experience I had....good memories. Very lucky.

I am shocked they have closed the NAVFAC. I was stationed there in in 1973 & 1974as an Eng.man 3rd lass. Was a great duty station

Visits: