Ocean Night 1280x1024 1024X768 800X600
Mid-Watch   1280x1024 1024X768 800X600

IUSSCAA Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Ernie Castillo

Dick's comments reflect the thoughts of many of us within the system. Indeed, Ernie was a towering figure and his name and memory will always be honored by those who served with him. Rest peacefully, Mr. Castillo.

Well said Dick. EKD

Beautifully said, Captain Porter.

Thank you, Captain Porter - so well said in so many ways.

We have indeed lost a pillar in System history.

It was Ernie who - growing tired of evaluations of System
data by other activities as "possible, low certainty" - decided
the final evaluation of System data should be made by
System personnel - and so it should always be.

From 1964 on it was "Yes" or "No." No more weasel-wording.

The data was there to be definitive - and it was all System data.
Ernie lead the charge that brought the System out of the acoustic
dark ages.

An unparalleled legacy, an unforgettable individual whether it
was sitting in his office at Kef or driving across the interior of
North Norway at night with the temperature at -40F: shared
times over so many years.

Bruce

Bruce,
You probably do not recall this, but you and I met briefly at NAVFAC Eleuthera in 1962. You were part of the COSL ORI team and I was a watch officer. I correctly classified the drill target as a November because I'd read and archived your message describing the signature and recognized it immediately. I left the System in 1963 for training as a Naval Flight Officer in P3's. Returned to it in 1978 as CO NAVFAC Kef, followed by a stint at COSL as OPSO and then CSO. During the interim I was involved with the Beartrap Quicklook program. Following COSL, to OP-951 as designated Program Manager for some interesting Arctic programs. Nice to make your acquaintance again after all these years, although I wish it were under different. not so sad circumstances.
Dick Porter

So very well stated, CAPT Porter, "Skipper". As others have said, you echo exactly what so many of us feel about Ernie Castillo. I was honored to be the COSL QA officer in the mid 1980s myself. To be sure, every decision I made or reported to OPS or the Commodore was first bounced off Ernie. In fact, he typically accompanied me to the front office for the definitive "What do you think, Ernie?" from the boss. I've been in touch with Ernie's daughter, Anita. I'll be sure to pass along your words for Ernie's family.

Best regards, Jim

Just heard the news about Ernie. Sad that he has left us, but I know they will value great analysts up there. What do you say after so much has been said about a legend. I recall talking with Ernie many times about data under review. Whether in person, or via SADR, I could always rely on "the best" for a straight shot to resolve pending issues. I enjoyed his sage advice and counsel more than he probably ever knew. Rest easy shipmate... we'll meet again soon.

I too want to say what a sad thing to hear of Ern's passing. He and I go back a long way. We used to have a friendly exchange as to which of us was older. He was 12 days younger than me and when October came around we would remind each other of that. May memories of happier days help ease the pain for Ernie's family. Rest in peace my friend. - Ed Smock

In late Nov ’65, I received orders to NAVFAC Kef via COSL HQ for a few days of briefings. I believe at that time COSL was sharing spaces with CINCLANTFLT communications, across the street from the Ops Bldg. It was at this time that I first met LT Ernest Castillo, and thus began a 53-year professional and personal relationship.
I arrived in Kef in Dec 65, and Ernie arrived in JAN 66 as a newly promoted LCDR. As a direct result of his leadership and the can-do spirit he instilled in the crew, the NAVFAC was quickly up and working, providing vital support to our national security. In a short time, the capabilities of NAVFAC Kef were gaining fame throughout the system, with personnel volunteering for duty. No better accolade than, “I want to go to Kef and work for Captain Castillo!”
After that tour, our paths crossed a few more times at COSL, where we both retired from the navy but continued to work together as civilians. Our mutual trust and friendship grew ever-deeper in the “33 Shop”, which was generally a hopping division. After we both retired permanently, we maintained and deepened our friendship through email and phone calls. Over the years, Ernie became the brother I never had.
So, we must part again, Ernie. You have had many adventures in your life, and now you are starting the greatest one of all. We shall meet again someday. I miss you dearly, my friend.

Touching tribute, Jack. When the sad news of Ernie's passing was posted I immediately thought of you. You two were like the left and right hands of COSL analysis and intel; always there, always stalwart. Images of Ernie at his desk going over reports and you spinning tapes at 0-dark-thirty are forever type memories. Good to see your name on here, best regards to you and MA.

Randy

I was so deeply saddened to hear of Ernie's passing. He was a friend and mentor; I worked with Ernie and the boys in the 33 shop from 79-83; then to Kef for my 1st tour there. I think back to days when getting ready for the morning briefs and spinning FTA tapes, you could hear Ernie thru the wall venting at bean-counters, COSL, SUBLANT...lol. Love when he and Joe Guilfoyle (??) would go at it... I loved going over to his office and trying to "get him going"...lol. In 85, at Kef, we were running a "pool" of what the last case number would be for the year; one of those $10/square type thing. I won, but then Ernie gave his friends across the pond a case on something we had watched and was a POS. That new addition cost me close to $700, I seem to recall. Anyway, I took the initiative and sent a data pack to Ernie - my best representative "gram cut" was a picture of a pile of dogcrap...I modified it to put a pole and pennant, and labeled it as L...-85. It was awesome. He loved it. Peace, Ernie.
p.s. I just uploaded it, but don't know if it will get posted.

Jack - I was so happy to see your e-mail, and hope you are well. I can only imagine your hurt with Ernie's passing; your friendship for each other was so apparent and so very real. BTW - Carrie and I are now in year 35, 3 kids, 3 grandkids. Thanks for being my Best Man, and for holding the 9mm Glock in my back to make sure I went thru with it...lol. Take care, my friend.

Visits: