Ocean Night 1280x1024 1024X768 800X600
Mid-Watch   1280x1024 1024X768 800X600

IUSSCAA Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Response to Captain Dick Porter

Dick:

You had quite a career. Your time at 951 must have been very interesting, especially if it was coincident with Dempter Jackson who, despite being a loose canon, always fired with great accuracy in the right direction. For many years, I was 951's on-site rep – basically a trouble-shooter - whether it was Adak or Norway. I remember sending messages from Adak direct to CNO, CINCLANTFLT and COMASWFORLANT, info CINCPACFLT and COSP. If I had thought the issue through, I'd have added CINCUSAVEUR and COMSIXTHFLT because that's where the item of interest ended up. I heard later there were “grumblings” but nothing official ever surfaced.

You are right, I do not remember you from Eleuthera; however – as is typical of me – I do remember the target. It was ONI Case 620, reel L5. I never liked that target because, even then, I did not consider it to be representative of what the System would see. It took Bill Tilley in July 1962 to provide the Rosetta Stone.

I did not make the ORI trip in 1961 to Eleuthera because the Chief of Staff at COSL knew I had had “issues” with the CO, old WKP. I told the COS that he was correct in pulling me but not for the reasons he thought applied. I told him that – knowing what WKP would do to his personnel if they got anything less than O's, I might be too lenient to “protect” site personnel from what had happened to me and so many others. That left the COS with a lot to think about.

Were you there for the infamous “No More Liberty Until Morale Improves” POD?

Many memories, most wonderful, only a few otherwise.

Best,

Bruce

Visits: