Ocean Night 1280x1024 1024X768 800X600
Mid-Watch   1280x1024 1024X768 800X600

IUSSCAA Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Ernie Castillo - obituary

From Ernie’s daughter, Anita.

I know this is long but I was asked to share. Dad had wonderful memories of his work and all the great people! Anita Castillo Fritzinger

Ernest Castillo, III

On Monday, February 5, 2018, Ernest Castillo, III, peacefully passed away.

Ernest was born October 23, 1935, in Tampa, Florida, to Ernest Castillo, Jr. and Alicia Esteban Castillo. As an only child, he was known to his family as "Sonny". Ernest graduated from Plant High School (Tampa) in 1953 (Class President), and then went on to graduate from the University of North Carolina in Chapel Hill. In 1957, Ernest was commissioned into the US Navy, and shortly thereafter was sent to the US Naval Facility at Ramey Air Force Base in Puerto Rico. In September of 1958, he married Anne Dopler in Lake Wales. In 1960, Ernest was sent to NAVFAC Shelburne, Nova Scotia, where he served as the Liaison to the Royal Canadian Navy until October 1962, then to Norfolk, VA, where he worked for Commander Oceanographic Systems Atlantic. In January of 1966, Ernest was sent to Keflavik, Iceland, to open the NAVFAC and serve as the Commanding Officer. He returned to ComOceanSysLant (COSL) in March of 1968, and in December of that year, moved his family to Virginia Beach. In January 1970, Ernest left work on a Friday afternoon as a Lt. Cmdr. and returned on Monday morning as a Civil Service Intelligence Analyst, sitting at the same desk and continuing to perform the same job he had been doing for several years. Ernest retired from Civil Service in July 1995.

In 1999, Ernest received the Joe P. Kelly Award. The Kelly Award, as it became known, is a lifetime achievement award that recognizes an individual whose contributions profoundly impact present and future IUSS (Integrated Undersea Surveillance System) operations. The award is named after Capt. Joseph P. Kelly who is recognized throughout the oceanic surveillance industry as the father of the Sound Surveillance System (SOSUS) program. Kelly died in 1988.

In 2005, Ernest and Anne returned to Lake Wales, and in 2007 built their dream home on Blue Lake where they enjoyed reuniting with old friends and family.

Ernest was very active in his church, Holy Spirit Catholic Church, and regularly participated in gatherings of his high school classmates in Tampa. He loved watching ACC basketball and cheering for his Tarheels. But most of all he loved God and his family.

He leaves behind his wife of almost 60 years, Anne D. Castillo, his three daughters Carlotta Moulder (Jim) of Burke, VA, Anita Fritzinger (Chris) of Suffolk, VA, and Sarah Page (Randy) of Cary, NC, and six grandchildren, Alicia and Theresa Moulder, Mitch and Tom Fritzinger, and Jordan and Jana Page. He touched the lives of many people during his lifetime.

A memorial service will be held on Saturday, March 3, at 11:00 AM at Holy Spirit Catholic Church in Lake Wales. In lieu of flowers donations may be made to The Good Shepherd Hospice House.

Re: Ernie Castillo - obituary

All,
I forwarded the tribute comments we have posted on the web site to Carlotta this morning. She responded with the following message (Ed):

Thank you Ed for sending along these very touching comments. For those not on our email fanout, please let them know that an inurnment for Ernie will be scheduled in then coming months at Arlington National Cemetery. There is quite a back log, so it may be July or August. I will keep you posted.
Thank you,
Carlotta Castillo Moulder
703-851-7700

Thanks for sharing this, Ed. I think a contingent of us should drive up to Arlington for Ernie's internment when it is scheduled. I'd be happy to help coordinate. - Jim

Jim,
I was thinking the same thing. Count me in.
Ed

Joanne & I will also be attending Ernie's internment services in Arlington.

Visits: