IUSSCAA Wallpapers
Ocean Night 1280x1024 1024X768 800X600
Mid-Watch   1280x1024 1024X768 800X600

IUSSCAA Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: My, my, my how the times have changed.

The shame of it all is that a lot of these awards have turned into "End-Of-Tour" Awards.
There was a time when the "Good Conduct Award" was the primary award noticed on the wearer.
And, a time when selection boards focused primarily on actual "letters of commendation" written by senior higher echelon commanders concerning the individual. Having said that, I want to emphasize that the recipients are not at fault and I applaud their awards. - Ed Smock

For sure times truly have changed. I was stationed in San Diego in the mid-60's and actually saw a SN with gold "SN" strips and hash marks. Was not unusual to see gold "3rd" class crows also.
Frog

I had never heard the term "end of tour" award until I returned to Norfolk for a civilian assignment in 2002. Names are not important but I witnessed an O-6 being instructed to write his own Legion of Merit award recommendation as an "end of tour" award. I can't really blame him more than I blame the leadership chain of Flags that approved it.
Really waters down the meaning of the award and in fact, is kind of demoralizing!

In October 75 I was en route to Kef and was flying from Mcguire AFB. While waiting for the flight three young Army lads came in and sat down. The one thing that really caught my eye was the number of ribbons they had on both breast pockets. They had just finished Bootcamp and had more then I saw on most Navy personnel with 10 or more years service. Many years later I was notified that was to be given an award which I declined. The reaction was as if I had killed someone's firstborn. I had to go all the way to the chief of staff to explain that I don't care for individual medals and finally convinced them not to give it to me. The most meaningful medals to me are those we earned as a command and are the results of teamwork. I do have one exception and that's the marksmanship ribbon. I am proud of that one.

Wow. Were you an OT chief in Guam.

Visits: